coated line

The coated line might. Read the manual on how the short stop feature works (I was actaully playing with my new mag 20's last night). I think you might need bare cable period for it to work (don't quote me on that). this is my belief on how it works and I am not an expert by any means on this. It somehow sends a signal thru the cable that reflects off the boats anodes. When that signal is broken then the short stop feature kicks in. This is why you need to use the insulater swivel (the one with a plastic end) to attach to the rigger ball. I would call the cannon service center in muskegon and ask them to be sure. That number should be in the manual also.

I read on the Fish Dog site under the info for the Cannon lure speed/temp indicator that the Cannon unit would not interfere with the short stop feature. I know the Cannon can be used with either coated or non-coated cable, but the article makes it seem as though it does not matter.

I know the Cannon rigger short stop uses the water to boat to cable circuit as the stopping device. When the cable snap leaves the water, the continuity is broken and shuts the downrigger motor off.

Anyone have a coated cable installed with the Cannon riggers? I know I'm intending on buying a Cannon lure speed/temp indicator and would be interested to know.

You have to take off the coating at both end's. On the end that goes on your downrigger spool take 8ft of the cable burn off the coating, then use sand paper to clean it up. you will see a nut in the spool make sure the uncoated cable touches this, it will with the 8ft of cleaned off cable. Then at the probe end I clean off about a foot the same way. Make your connections, clip off the excess and your rubber tape should cover the exposed metal except the last 1/4 inch at the probe.