Treble hooks

Hook choice all depends on what bait; i.e. J-Plugs, small spoons, magnum spoons, flies, cut bait rigs, etc. The most used hook on spoons is a "round bend" treble, but a lot of people have been switching over to single hooks as well. We use Gamakatsu and Owner "round bend" hooks on all of our spoons and a larger Owner musky type treble hook on all our flies and cut bait rigs. Hook choice ultimately comes down to personal preference, but the most important, and often overlooked key, is the sharpness of a hook.

In your case, I would recommend the VMC treble for spoons over the Eagle Claw, but we do use the L375 Eagle Claw on our J-Plug harnesses. Similar to rods and reels, the price you are willing to spend, determines the quality of the hook.

We run all salt water Mustad single hooks on our spoons. 5s for the mags and 4s for the regs. I feel you lose/miss to many fish with the treble hooks.

I think you probably mean 4/0 and 5/0. I use the same.:) I like the bone piercing qualities of the single hooks. I also like the safety aspect of less likely to get a hook in the hand, or a hook in the net. The Single hooks sure do store better in the bait file boxes.