Treble hooks and split rings sizes ?

Hi everyone,

I need advice on what size and model treble hooks should I buy to replace or to put on spoons for great lakes fishing. Most spoons that need new hooks are 3" 1/2 to 4 " spoons. Also what are your preference between regular nickel or new red hooks.

Also what is the best size split rings and who makes the best to attach to both ends of your spoons. As anyone seen much different in fishing with and without split rings.

I bought a couple of packs of lucky strike rings and they are lousy, they become out of shape as soon as you open them up with a split ring tool and do not recover their original shape once attached to a spoon.

Thanks

:confused:

Welcome to the site!

I am an advocate of the more expensive Gamakatsu and Owner Hooks. I think the extra sharpness is worth the money! I use both the Gamakatsu Round Bend (Bronze) Treble Hooks in Size 1 and Size 2. Size 2 is for regular sized Stinger Spoons and Size 1 is for Stingray sized Spoons. Owner Hooks also came out with a Round Bend Treble Hook last winter. I also use their size 2 for regular-sized Stinger Spoons and Size 1 for Stingray sized Spoons. The Owners are a bit cheaper and a little stronger, but didn't stay sharp as long as we had hoped. Meanwhile, the Gamakatsu hooks cost more, stay sharper longer, but aren't as strong.

As far as Split Rings and Split Ring Pliers, you get what you pay for. I would recommend purchasing a $12-$15 pair of Pliers, the $2-$3 pliers suck and you get what you pay for. As far as Split Rings, buy the thicker, more durable rings. It should tell you the diameter and the strength level. Cabela's is a good place to start for both the Split Ring Pliers and the Rings themselves.

Hope this helps!!! Please let me know if you have any other questions!!!

I would not worry about adding a split ring to the nose of the spoon. I attach the swivel to the spoons with a split ring.

Go for a nickle split ring. The stainless steel ones deform, and come apart like what you mentioned.