Muzzle Loader

GLF

I currently have a Remington 700ML. I would like to purchase a new muzzle loader. It has been a long time since I have looked at them, and there are lots of makes and models out there now. I see CVA(Electra) has an electronic ignition muzzle loader.

What is everyone using?

Does anyone have the CVA Electra? I am looking for some feed back on this one in particular.

I purchased a Thompson Omega Last December. It shoots great and is more accurate then my 12 Gauge. I am using it full time for deer firearms now. This gun has the thumbhole stock. It is 50 cal. I put a 3X9X40 Nikon scope on it. I am using Triple Seven pellets 3 @ 50 gr each, and shooting a 250 gr sabot. I have not tryed different sabots to see how the others shoot.

There is a log of nice guns out there now. It has come a long way since I got my first one.

TT

There is a log of nice guns out there now. It has come a long way since I got my first one.

I got a Hawkins 50 cal kit when I was 14.....26 years ago. I got my first deer with it, when I was 16.

• 3 weeks later...

i shoot a cheap cva right now and its really accurate to 200yrds, when sitting in a stand it is the only gun that i would take.

as far as buying a new one i would go with the savage arms smokeless. my buddy drops so much money into muzzleloaders and he has never been more happy with his. its smokeless powder so you don't have to clean it as much. he claims he has shot over 100 times with it and still hasn't cleaned it and doesn't need to. also he says that he can get 2inch groups @ 275.

• 1 month later...

I own 4 in-lines, 1 caplock and 2 flintlocks and i'm currently putting together a long range conical shooting sporting rifle (caplock). This is what i do when i'm not fishing. If i was a person looking for a new muzzleloader and only wanted to own one and not have a lot of muss and fuss. I would go with the TCA Omega or the Triumph. Three Triple Seven pellets under a 250 gr Shockwave bullet. Proven accurate out of the box with this load out to 200 yds and you have TC's lifetime warranty no questions asked. Top it off with a Nikon Omega scope with BDC reticle that is calibrated for shooting the above load and you're ready to hunt with minimal time at the range getting setup. Also get one with a stainless barrel. I don't currently own this setup. For me it takes the fun out of muzzleloading. I enjoy the finicky muzzleloaders that you have to spend endless range sessions shooting and tweaking and working up loads. But i'm a masochist at heart :)

• 1 month later...

I shoot an Old Army Ruger .45 muzzle loader pistol. Using exclusivly American Pioneer Powder, the best on the market. I love pistol hunting because I am a avid bow hunter and enjoy the close range hunting. Plus I carry it in Shot Gun and then muzzle loader season. In shot gun I use it for close range and my shotgun is used out to 100 for long range. Beyond that I believe its best you use a rifle or a high powered 150gr smoke pole. I personally don't like taking long shots, I try to keep it in the wheel house.