Checked by The Michigan DNR

While fishing the Dreamweaver Challenge on Sunday, we had a DNR boat pull up beside the boat to check licenses. There were 4 of us in the boat, 6 lines in the water, but he only asked to see 2 licenses.

This is the first time I have been checked while on the lake fishing, and it seemed odd to me.

Is this the norm? I do not have a charter boat sticker on the window, but maybe he thought I was a charter boat????

I have been checked a few times on the big water. I was checked a couple of weeks ago @ the dock in AuGres. They boarded my vessel while I was getting the truck. They never asked my permission. I guess they asked one of the crew if they could check our fish. They never asked for a license, but they were all over my boat including the cabin looking for another cooler. One of my crew boxed a Walleye that was 1/8 of an inch short. He did let us off with a warning. We had a legal limit of 15 fish.

3-4 weeks ago out of South Haven, the DNR/Sheriff's deputies were checking boats for safety prior to launching at Black River Park. This was the first time I'ver even seen anybody checked out of South Haven. We were coming back from fishing in the am and we got checked for safety gear and fish and licenses. The deputies were extremely friendly and very quick and non-intrusive.

I've also been asked to show a DNR data collector my fish after fishing. He generally asks me how long I was fishing for, how many licenses were onboard, number of lines in the water, and looks at the fish to get an idea of size and species. I'd guess that happens 2-3 times per season.

I had them check us last year at Port Sheldon. It was the June slow down and we were 9 miles off shore trying to find some fish and no one else out there. He come flying out there and counted our rods in the water then threw us a plastic jug over to my boat to put our license in and throw it back to him. I would say it is pretty normal.

I've been checked quite a few times on the big water. Twice I was way off shore 10+ miles. Everytime, they pulled up along side, match my trolling speed and ask us to show licenses. They have used binoc's to read them from their boat. They were always courteous.

Its not uncommon i have had them get close enough to count rods and then just hold up your license and never disrupt your trolling. As an eight year Coast guard vet instead of going through the trouble of actually doing an in depth boarding i would just get close and ask them to hold up life jackets. If they did it in a quick manner and they looked good i was happy. I also would ask them to break out a flare kit quickly. The Coasties are more out there to ensure your safety as opposed to writing you a ticket. Its just a whole lot nicer when they dont interupt your time on the water.:grin::grin::grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I was coming thru the channel and was pulled over by the Coast guard, I never realized it but my light was out in front, they asked what was wrong, I jump up and fixed it real quick, they didn't ask for anything else, they wished us a safe trip.

It is very nice when they do not mess with you.

Marv