Getting the boat ready after 5 year hibernation

Finally getting the boat ready for a few trips this summer with my dad. We have a 16ft aluminum deep v and we used to run just two riggers off of it and nothing else, only two lures. I'm thinking of running stackers off of these to up it to four lures. I was wondering if running a diver rod on the outside of each rigger set way out on a number 3 would create too many problems when trying to reel in fish. We used to bring up the second rod and both canon balls when we hook a fish in the past. Would we be able to run these four rods and be able to land fish without have to bring in the rods? If so, what is the trick in keep the fish out of the cables and other lines when you are fighting them?

You shouldn't have a problem running 4 rods off two riggers and 2 Dipsys. If one of the riggers go, you could bring the fish in up the chute or swing the rigger back and play the fish off the corner. A good wheel man can keep that fish any place you want it.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of slackers, I would put sliders(fixed or free) on the existing rigger rods. This will get you 4 baits on your riggers in the water instead of 2. I have my sliders premade to 6' and have swivels at both ends.

Setting the diver on 3 will get your baits further to the sides, and decrease your chance of tangles. You will not get the depth out of a diver set on 3 that you will get with one set on 1.

Get some adjustable rod holders for your divers. Make sure they are a good quality aluminum construction. The last thing you want is a plastic rod holder to break and loose your gear. You want to lay them almost parallel to the water. Mount them at least 1' in front of your riggers. This will get the line off to the sides of your boat and out of the way.

Then...you will need to add more rod holders further up the sides. These will be used for lead core set ups. Attach your core rods to planer boards, and run them off to the sides.

Who said fishing was cheap!