1/2 , Quick solo trip this morning. Lake flat.

1. 7:05 am , 6.5 lb King, rigger down 85 ft, 125 fow, wonderbread SD and spoon

2. 8:30 am, Miss, 113 fow, big fish slammed a clean wonderbread spoon. High diver back 200 ft. Proceeded to break off my line at the diver.

Beautiful morning.

IMG_6236.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Like 5

Slow for us too (2 in the boat).  Went 2-3.  What lb test are you running at the divers?

I think I had a 20 test leader to the diver and then 30 lb braid. Not my best choice.

Agree with the leader recommendation - all my dipsey leaders are 25lb test.  Secondly, set the drags as light as possible where they spool out a bit of line when you make a turn.  If the water is choppy, try adding an Off Shore #8 (small red clip without the pin in the center) to the base of your rod.  I am not at the boat to send a pic so I will do my best to describe it here.  Put the large split ring that comes in the package through the back of the last hole of the OR8 clip.  Tie the split ring to the base of the rod with fishing line (I use 40lb test).  Wrap tape over the line (electrical tape will do) leaving the split ring free to wobble so the clip does not slide up and down the rod.  Once the dipsey line is deployed and the drag is set, clip the line into the OR8 clip.  It will not hold that much (works better on a wire dipsey versus a superline dipsey) but will help keeping the line for creeping out of the reel.  This has limits.  If your running 3.0mph or in 2' waves, this suggestion will probably not hold the line.  An OR1 clip might hold better but it is bigger and personally I don't like it flopping around the rod (they are great for downrigger ball releases).  OR8 clips can be ordered on line.  I recommend going to the Off Shore website and getting familiar with the clips and and how they are named before ordering so you purchase the right item.  I recommend not buying the knock offs - yes they are much cheaper but some of these just do not hold onto the line very well.

Also, when using no-stretch lines and the fish are big, I now run a snubber after the dipsey and 25# fluoro leaders for spoons and 30# mono for dodger/fly presentations.  A clear Dreamweaver Ripcord 12" snubber is my personal preference.  Fished for ~30 years w/o running a snubber but after losing a bunch of gear fishing bigger fish with wire divers and the heavy weight dipseys the last couple of years (the mag dipseys are getting pricey!), I added snubbers to my program.

• Like 2

Agree with the leader recommendation - all my dipsey leaders are 25lb test.  Secondly, set the drags as light as possible where they spool out a bit of line when you make a turn.  If the water is choppy, try adding an Off Shore #8 (small red clip without the pin in the center) to the base of your rod.  I am not at the boat to send a pic so I will do my best to describe it here.  Put the large split ring that comes in the package through the back of the last hole of the OR8 clip.  Tie the split ring to the base of the rod with fishing line (I use 40lb test).  Wrap tape over the line (electrical tape will do) leaving the split ring free to wobble so the clip does not slide up and down the rod.  Once the dipsey line is deployed and the drag is set, clip the line into the OR8 clip.  It will not hold that much (works better on a wire dipsey versus a superline dipsey) but will help keeping the line for creeping out of the reel.  This has limits.  If your running 3.0mph or in 2' waves, this suggestion will probably not hold the line.  An OR1 clip might hold better but it is bigger and personally I don't like it flopping around the rod (they are great for downrigger ball releases).  OR8 clips can be ordered on line.  I recommend going to the Off Shore website and getting familiar with the clips and and how they are named before ordering so you purchase the right item.  I recommend not buying the knock offs - yes they are much cheaper but some of these just do not hold onto the line very well.
Also, when using no-stretch lines and the fish are big, I now run a snubber after the dipsey and 25# fluoro leaders for spoons and 30# mono for dodger/fly presentations.  A clear Dreamweaver Ripcord 12" snubber is my personal preference.  Fished for ~30 years w/o running a snubber but after losing a bunch of gear fishing bigger fish with wire divers and the heavy weight dipseys the last couple of years (the mag dipseys are getting pricey!), I added snubbers to my program.

Great ideas! Thanks