Boat Is Coming Back Out

GLF

Well....I thought I was going to do some fishing today. As I got near the end of the channel, I looked at the temp gauges. Both gauges were above 200 :eek: I got to the end of the pier and increased the throttle to see if the temp would go down, and it did. Anything faster than trolling speed, and it runs at 145.

I will be pulling the boat back out and changing both water pump impellers. I knew I should have done this before the boat went in the water. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

You did not miss much. We went 1 for 1 just a laker in 35 fow on a 1/2 core with NBK at 10:30 just north of the mud line. Just a ton of boat traffic today I think every boat in Muskegon was out. As for you ? about the guys inside are perchers as far as I know.

Well....I thought I was going to do some fishing today. As I got near the end of the channel, I looked at the temp gauges. Both gauges were above 200 :eek: I got to the end of the pier and increased the throttle to see if the temp would go down, and it did. Anything faster than trolling speed, and it runs at 145.

I will be pulling the boat back out and changing both water pump impellers. I knew I should have done this before the boat went in the water. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:[/quote

Before you do that change the sending unit on them, it might save you some time.My boat was doing it too, and all i did was change the sending unit. Just my $.02............

Sorry Mike. I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching.:no:

I change my impeller every 3 years. If in doubt about when they were changed just do it. The problem with doing these mid season is you have to drain the gear lube, to remove the lower from the upper unit. On the plus side you can probably do it with out removing the out-drives. If you use a very clean catch pan you may be able to reuse the gear lube. A $20 part can end up costing you thousands if neglected.

On the Mercruiser drives there is a round part of the housing that is invisible when the drive is installed. This section of the housing is between two gaskets. It is just aft of the universal joints. I painted this invisible portion white. I mark on that portion, with a magic marker any service my out-drive gets. I do my own stuff. I got one more year, and my impeller will get changed. The first year I got Priority1, I changed the impeller, and it needed it. I doubt when I change it again next year that it will be very bad, but it's cheap insurance.

I was in Manistee last Summer, when I met a couple that had just smoked an outboard for that reason. They ended up fishing with Chuck and I. They were gracious enough to feed us pretty good from their well stocked motor home.:)

4 for 8

What kind of fishing report is that? :confused: Hmmmmm....what happened to the port, depth, lure, how far back, etc, etc, etc I need to know where I have to go to spud you in :D :D :D

p.s. I know what port ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the boat pulled yesterday, swapped out the impellors and had it put back in. It was just starting to sprinkle when I got the boat to the slip. After a phone call to my wife to check the weather radar, I decided to test it out and do some fishing.

I was between the channel and the outer break walls when I finished setting a half core with a stingray mixed veggies. I was getting ready to set a second line when the half core went off. Ended up being a 19" walleye. The sky was getting dark. I made it out to the lake and made two passes accross the front of the piers before I spotted lightning and decided to call it a day.

Both engines now hold water temp while trolling.

Here fishy fishy fishy!