A.M. Start Times

Just curious to see what start times in the morning you leave the dock. With the advances in the glow spoons and the pressure rising to bring in limit catches I'm considerering getting a earlier start to 4:00 a.m. this year. I am happy with a 5:00 a.m. start and do prefer running out with a little light, but getting a double hot spoon bite and then changing to the hot fly bite can get you back to the dock quicker and save on expenses from a buisness side of things.

That's true. I don't intend to start earlier though. I try to cater more towards family and corporate groups than meat hunters. Most folks can't or don't want to get themselves and their kids up too early. Our normal departure is 6am, (5:30 mid-summer if customer is willing)Catching some fish and having a lot of fun and relaxation is what I try to sell. Plus we get plenty of nice catches as it is.

Then there is the safety issue. Every facet of chartering becomes a little more dangerous in the dark.(especially with part time fishing folks who are tired).

I do occasionally get out early if my group asks in advance and they have what I feel is enough charter fishing savvy to warrant it.

I run a bunch of doubles and prefer to start my afternoon trips later than most (3 -4 pm depending on season) so my customers can enjoy the sunset over the lake and be on the water for the hot twilight bite. By the time the fish and boat cleanin is done, it's usually well past 11 pm. I'm old and need my rest man!

We normally leave at 6AM. If fishing is extremely good later in July and August, early in the morning, we will call the customers and see if they want to leave at 5:30AM. Anyways, we don't want to get up any earlier than we have to, plus most people have a hard time getting to the boat by 6AM anyways. As of this year, all our morning trips will be 6AM-12PM and all afternoons will be 2PM-7PM. We definitely don't see a need to get out earlier than that for our own tired state and the customer's sake.

If you only knew how many compliments and sighs of relief I get when I say "We leave the dock at 8:00am" you'd be shocked. Of course I'm only running one trip a day reguardless if it's a half or a whole day. And walleyes seem to be more cooperative after daylight then do the salmonoid species. :P;)

Thanks for the input. It all comes down to catering to each customer. I have also seen the increases in the late start and afternoon trips where people don't care if they catch any fish, they just want to be on the water. I always tell them they can still enjoy the lake while pulling in a fish.

• 1 year later...

I have been giving a lot of thought to doing the afternoon-evening trips.

Last year we had more fish and less Sun related problems (sun burn, dehydration issues)

by leaving the dock at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. By then the hottest part of the day is past and it seemed to make for a much more enjoyable time.

And the fish sure didn't mind !