Spreader bars for steelhead?

First post! I'm new to trolling/fishing Lake Michigan. Last year I started in August and fished into the fall. Learned a lot and really looking forward to this season. I've been reading everything I can - really like Dan Keating's books.

I've been lucky enough to fish with a great captain for tuna in the canyons off of NJ. To my mind that fishing is similar to steelhead trolling because you're fishing a canyon wall (Lk Michigan is a little more shallow...) and raising fish that are orientated to surface bait and lures.

Anyways - I had good success last year targeting steelhead in the top 20 feet of water. I'm wondering if you guys have tried offshore tuna techniques for steelhead (or coho?)? In particular, I'm thinking about the spreader bars trolled at higher speed with teasers and stingers in the spread. Maybe tried the smaller 6" squids at 3mph or so?

Here's an example of a spreader setup: http://www.sterlingtackle.com/#!18bars/c16up

I know a lot of Lk Michigan trollers up and down the coast and I don't know anyone who runs those rigs. They used to sell a similar rig called a schooley for dragging off downriggers many years ago. I don't know anyone running them so they must not have worked very well or guys would be still be dragging them.

i dont think they will work but lets say you try it and nail the steelhead. how will you know if it was the spreader bar or just catching fish you would have anyway? you allready have had success with topwater steel. maybe you try it without the spreader bar catch nothing then throw the spreader bar over and see if it lures them in ? stick with other things we have allready talked about.