Mono Vs. Spider Wire

Hey Members,

So are you fishing with 30# mono on your dipsy's still. I have been fishing with 30# mono for about 15 years and man did it ever suck. When I had my dipsy's set back 200-250 feet back and wanted to release my dipsy just to check out my bait or just change my lure's, it was really hard to release my dipsy all the time. Allso when I used mono I notice I would loose alot of fish because I think the mono just streched out so much. Well my fishing buddy Sarah C just kept going on and on that Id better go with spiderwire because that didn't strech and would release my dipsy so much easier when I had it back so far. Well let me tell you something, it really works better than mono. I noticed that I had better hook ups and caught more fish than I did when I use to use mono and you don't have to have your dipsy set back to go deeper because spiderwire will not strech. Well if you want to use spider wire on your dipsy's this is what you have to do. Go to your favorite tackle shop and go get you a spool of 150yards of 50# steath spiderwire. You can keep all your mono on your reel still for backing. But you will have to take off about 150 yards of your mono off your reel because you need to put back on your reel 150 yards of spiderwire on your dipsy reel. I had alot of luck with spiderwire than I ever did when I use to use mono. So give it a try this year and catch more fish.

Caznik

i117294sn01.jpg

Great advice, Caz! I also switched last year from using 30# mono to 30# spider wire. It works great. The dipsys run much better in currents, release much cleaner, and depth control is much better. I also agree that having some mono as backing is a good idea. The spider wire stealth has a coating on the line that really helps it to work smoothly through the rod and reel. The coating also help to keep the line from sticking.

I would add to make sure you have a good, smooth working drag on your reels to make this combination work well. The last thing you want is a sticky drag when running spider wire because there will not be much line stretch to help absorb the attack of a big fish. Also, I think it's more important to keep good tension on the line when installing spider wire than it is with mono. Since the spider wire doesn't stretch, a little more care winding it will go a long ways to keeping it peeling off a screaming drag more consistently.

Fish on!! :)

Totally agree. I use it on all my trolling rods. The minimal line diameter allows the lure move more freely in the water than when your dragging lamp cord.

Not to hijack your thread, but I've been scratching my head one this one. I go back country fishing in the Florida Keys about every other year. The guide I've been using always sets me up with a 6' 7" Loomis, Shimano reel and loads 8lb test Andy monofiliment. He then ties a bimini knot for the leader which is 30lb test. We normally fish with jigs and shrimp. Anyone who's caught saltwater fish will tell you a 5lb saltwater fish will put up a fight equal to a fresh water fish that is 10lbs heavier. So my wife and I are catching 15lb - 20lb Cobia, Jacks and small Snapper all day long. Granted we're not pulling these in in three minutes but we're not chasing them or allowing them to spool the reel. The tension on the rod, more than a couple times, made her stop reeling and hold the rod with two hands for awhile. Not once, all day did we have a line break.

Why don't we rig like this in Michigan? I agree we have to watch nics, but out on the lake its' not like theres a bunch of structure to cause problems?

When long trolling leads are the norm, I couldn't agree more. But I actually went back to mono from spider wire, when casting for river kings on my charters. With the short length from the rod tip most times during strikes, and the brute force that kings deliver this punch when innitially hooked, you have to be a body builder to hang on for that first 2 minutes. Actually I had more breaks offs because of the sheer force of the fish and the (non-stretch) stopping power spider wire had when you pulled back.

Project4.sized.jpg

Caz, I also switched over to the braided lines, I use PowerPro 30# test 8# diameter. and 20# mono for the backer.

But, I'm fishing for walleyes and not kings...

I also use a leader of 30# flourocarbon line with a snubber between the dipsey and the leader.

I got my braided diver rods from Capt. Levi. They were already strung with Ripcord. They worked real well and I never had a breakoff. I am going to reverse the line this year and probably replace it next year. I was very happy with how it performed and it's cheaper than Spiderwire.

I agree with you 100% Cazz. I started using 30# Spider Wire Fusion braid 6 or 7 years ago on my Dipsys. The main reason was for ease of tripping. I have found that Snubbers are even more important, using the low stretch braid. I also set the drag a lot lighter, just tight enough to keep the line from spooling out when set in the holders. I use the Dipsys as my low divers.

I Use Slide Divers as my high divers with 25# Ande Mono on them.

Last year I eliminated my mono diver rods completely. They work well and land fish under most situations, but my ripcord and wire setups were what my first mate, Shades, wanted to run and it paid off for us huge. Granted some fish would pull free, (even break off!) sometimes in shallow water with short lines, but WOW! what blast it is hooking a big skam or king on wire or braid on a 30 foot lead! My clients love it!