where to?

I haven't fished Erie since I went with my Dad over 10 years ago. Now Dad is gone but I really want to try it again. I think we went to Monroe, but it might have been Luna Pier. The wife and I want to get a room the night before, but not sure where to stay or even the best place to go or launch. We'll be trailering the boat from over by Kalamazoo Friday (6/13) night and any pointers on location would sure help.

I haven't fished Erie since I went with my Dad over 10 years ago. Now Dad is gone but I really want to try it again. I think we went to Monroe, but it might have been Luna Pier. The wife and I want to get a room the night before, but not sure where to stay or even the best place to go or launch. We'll be trailering the boat from over by Kalamazoo Friday (6/13) night and any pointers on location would sure help.

Hi Jack, I'm a little bit farther west then you but we have done Sterling State Park into Breast Bay and Lake Erie as a day trip and also stayed over night. I've stayed once at:

Hampton Inn Monroe

1565 N Dixie Hwy

Monroe, MI 48162

It's pretty close to the entrance to Sterling State Park. We stayed in the off season, I think toward the end of October and it was still horribly expensive so you may want to shop around. However, I still had my boat in the morning so I was happy.

If you have your "P" designator on your license plate its a free launch at Sterling State Park and pretty nice, although be sure and adhere to the buoys going out. It even has a fish cleaning station.

Also, not sure if you've been watching the www.michigan-sportsman forums or not but the east side guys are much better at posting reports then us west siders. (thanks east siders!) At any rate the reports may give you a starting point. A friend from Lansing was just over two weeks ago and did OK.

I have fished out of Luna Pier once, but didn't stay over night, just a long day trip but it seems there are a lot of hotels around.

Also, not sure if you'd consider Ohio waters or not but we have been going to the Port Clinton area. Lots of hotels over that way, although with Cedar Point in full swing may be expensive. Something also that may be fun for you and your wife to get your bearing on Lake Erie is a charter with:

http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com

This lady sounds like a wonderful captain and does a lot of family, husband/wife type trips, both perch and walleye. She will often have fresh baked goods on board also. At any rate she gives really frequent reports and will help you determine a strategy for your catching.

Finally, I realize with you going over next week, probably no time for a lot of that stuff, but if you and your wife would like a really friendly, family fishing weekend, Lance Valentine, from: www.walleye101.com has something he calls a Trophy Hunt. Very reasonable, I think, and some good education. Usually toward the end of October.

Anyway, a few options and hope you have a great time.

Paul C.

Mattawan, MI

I have been going out of the Turtle Creek area. Magees East campground. Lots of fish from West Sister to the islands. I have been trolling worm harnesses but most guys are pulling spoons or tots,warts, deep little rippers. You can go fish West Sister from Michigan it is just a farther ride. P.m me if you need some waypoints