Milwaukee 12/21 Troutfest

Finally found some open water to get the kayak out and finish the 2013 season and had a great day. Launched around 730 and trolled spoons for a half hour without any luck. Decided to anchor at the discharge to jig and as I was winding up I had two browns follow my spoon up. Pulled a quick figure 8 and hooked up with the first fish of the day, about a 5# brown. Once I anchored at the discharge i didn't go 10 minutes without a fish until I left. I tied up a dozen spawn sacs last night and they were gone by 10 am going 5 for 12. 1/4 oz darter jig with various colored 4" and 5" gulp got hit nonstop casting right at the discharge. Ended up landing 52 and losing at least twice that.

Highlight of the day was seeing a brown jump five or six times right next to the yak before noticing a spawn sac in the corner of its mouth and winding it in.

Five browns were between 10 & 12 pounds with most being in the 3-5 pound range. Also pulled a beautiful 8-1/2 pound steelie that put up a heck of a fight. Kept one big brown that was still full of eggs and the steelie that had skein. Overall a great way to end my first year on the big pond. Hopefully the harbor stays open enough to get out a few times early next year.

image_zpsceacb6c5.jpg

image_zpsae4902ea.jpg

image_zpsfe36c606.jpg

image_zps2749e19e.jpg

image_zps9979808f.jpg

Great catch, that brown spawn is pure gold!

Yep it's all cured up in the fridge for next time :grin:

I had never had any success with spawn before this so I was very surprised to see my rod doubled over 10 seconds after dropping it down.

Nice Kal , it will continue all winter like that , even better if you can get out. Tomorrow may be the last day for a while as the cold is going to move in.

Over at our spot guys were catching browns all morning, only a few perch though.

Nice Kal , it will continue all winter like that , even better if you can get out. Tomorrow may be the last day for a while as the cold is going to move in.

Over at our spot guys were catching browns all morning, only a few perch though.

Thanks Jim. I'll probably give it a try through the ice this weekend. This extreme cold spell needs to end!