Trailer help/info needed

My "new" trailer decided to let one of the wheels go rolling down the parking lot the last time I launched and I'm debating the best remedy. All 4 bearings were supposed to have been replaced last year but a mechanic told me the spindle is shot on this one at least. It also exposed some deep cracks on the inside of the tire as well, dry rot I assume. The trailer main frame seems strong but the fenders are rusted through in places.

So, do I have the spindle fixed?, buy new tires?, replace the axel(s)?, replace the trailer with a new or used one? Any advice appreciated. Also if I change trailers it can't be any higher than this one as I only have about 4 or 5 inches to spare up top.

Slickcraft ss 235

Thank you

2013-06-10075409_zpseabf797d.jpg2013-06-10075428_zps696d49f2.jpg2013-06-10075444_zpsb34da28d.jpg2013-06-10075711_zps343d53eb.jpg

look at all the options. There are some nice used trailers on craigs list but you have to know how to set them up.

If you plan on keeping the boat for 10 years I would look at a new one also but they are very pricey...

Carlisle Welding

7625 Division Avenue S

Grand Rapids, MI 49548-7223

(616) 281-9696

They do all our Axle and frame welding and can probably fix the axle for less than it would cost to ship a new one. They did a friend of mines with a new spindle bearings and seal for under 100 bucks.

Well that sure looks familiar. The exact same spindle ended my season early last year.

I was able to buy a new spindle from a axle maker in Elkhart, In. for $21.00, a hub, bearings and seals from Starboard Choice marine in Mishawaka, In. for about $38.00 if I remember correctly and did the work myself. Just over $50 bucks but quite a bit of time cutting the old one off square and welding the new spindle on square and true. Had to remove the complete axle to do it, with the boat still on the trailer. If I had to do it again I would just replace the whole axle assembly for just a little more cabbage!

Good Luck,

Dave

Lose the springs for new, I lost a leaf last year and if its the one sitting on the bolt, that side will wind up behind the plates. Tow would of cost me 1200 bucks if not for boat US. Replaced all springs later, new axle, new disk brake system, basically just original frame.