Break Out Another Thousand

hopefully boat will actually run long enough to fish this time LOL. On tap for this week is a new Distributor Coil and bilge pump plus new plugs and a rebuild on the old carb. I am putting in a Pertronix billet electronic distributor and coil no more points yeah. Every year I plan on getting a nice new rocket launcher but every year the boat eats the money long before I get the launcher. Ain't boats fun I am really starting to look forward to the second happy day of boat ownership the day I sell it.

it seems there is just no end to that big black hole we throw our money in called a boat.

I started out last year when we went to erie. it would die when you put it in reverse. I put it in the shop. he got it fixed and called us. he told us the water line from the outdrive to the transom was leaking we should get it fixed after our vacation was over. the very next trip out the boat overheated. let it cool down then drove it slow and got back in ok. put it in the shop I thought if the water line was that bad the bellows probably needed replacing. so I told them to do it right, to replace the bellows the water line the gimbel bearing and the shift cable and u joints. they pulled the outdrive and called me and said the drive coupling was shot. so I replaced the drive coupling and the drive yoke. got the boat back and went to Brookville to check it out. ran for about 1 1/2 hrs and pulled up in a cove to play in the water. took off and the boat wouldn't run right. so I took it back to the shop and they checked it out it had 2 blown head gaskets.

the mechanic said he checked the heads and they were good. so I said go ahead and put new gaskets on it. after he got it fixed I found out the way he checked the heads was just by looking at them and checking them on a table to make sure they wasn't warped. the heads wasn't magnaflexed for cracks or checked to make sure there not warped. it was so late in the year and the weather was cold so I didn't get to check it out. and still haven't had it running so I don't know if its fixed or not.

I put right at 2000.00 in it the 1st time then around 1500.00 for the head gaskets and they had to rebuild the carb. some of the coating inside the carb came loose and had the jets stopped up. now my brother just gave me the money for a spx-5r auto pilot and im about afraid to put the auto pilot on the boat. its an old 86 cobia 21 fter and if the motors bad its just not worth putting all this money in. but on the other hand I,ve already invested 3500.00 in it.

sherman

Like Mark said, two happiest days of a boat owner. The day you buy it and the day you sell it. I know the feeling, haven't had the money to upgrade the way I'd like because I've been doing to much repair and maintenance. But we've actually got a few trips out of it this year so it's all coming together. Gotta take care of it so it can take care of you out on the lake. I try not to be too hard on the old girl because she was neglected by the previous owner. A work in progress for sure, and probably always will be.

This is like a group therapy session :-) the second year I owned my boat I noticed a small spot of rot in the transom, so took it in. The small spot turned into a completely new transom, part of a stringer, floor, gas tank support, etc. So after literally paying for the boat a second time and losing the first two months of the season I took it out only to have it stall everytime I put it in reverse. So another two weeks and a shift cable later I was finally able to get out. Fortunately once those rods start popping it seems to make you forget the frustrations just long enough to keep the whole operation going another year.

You know...I have an 18' Lund Alaskan that was intended to fish inland lakes and occasionally play with the big boys on Lake MI. Hah! So addicted to the salmon fishing though, I have been trying to decide the best strategy for upgrading to a larger vessel.

Obviously cheaper route seems to be finding an older Pursuit, Slickcraft or similar model; but when I read threads like this I wonder about buying something new...until I see the price tag on those! Damned if you do....damned if don't.

I may whine now and then but to replace my boat with new all the stuff on it would likely be between 100 and 115 thousand. Just looked a a new Striper 2601 I/O with no AP no electronics or fishing gear 93k. Makes the 20k I have into owning mine 6 years seem cheap.

There's no doubt about new sticker shock when you look at a new boat, car, or truck, it's ridiculous nowadays. What we all as keen fisherman and boaters want to never forget, is that there is no price you can put on a lost soul on the water. I have to keep reminding myself this too after many decades of boating, it's just part of the sport that we all committed to yesteryear. There are a lot of well maintained boats out there for distressed sales too nowadays, shop wise, and buy well.

boots every ten years (this would include transom bracket water hose)

and water pump impeller every other year or so

pull the drive every other year and grease the drive coupler and u joints

a lot of these expenses can be greatly reduced if not avoided completely

fun cost money and its still a lot cheaper than a seat at a hockey game these days

GO HAWKS