Question about spx-5 Smartpilot instal

I am installing a SPX-5 Smart pilot on my boat and directions say to hook power wires from drive unit to course computer. Directions say to put brown wire to terminal A and blue wire to terminal B. Problem is I don't have those colors. I have red and black. I know one is positive and one is negative, problem is the polarity is not marked on the course computer. I tried a continuity test from the positive to negative power feed terminals but have continuity to all 4 terminals? Anyone have suggestions? Will be contacting raymarine tomorrow.

When they updated the unit they changed the wires but not the instructions. Don't look at them as positive negative. You hook them up and push the 1 or 10 degree button on the control unit when it's in auto. If you push to go 10 degrees left and the wheel turns right switch the wires around

Just installed one on my boat it should have + and neg terminal markings if not I believe left side term for course comp is + it maches other term on course comp pos left neg right hope this helps their tech support is pretty good good luck

Don is right color does not matter if hooked up wrong it will just turn the wrong way and you reverse them. There is no polarity since the unit changes polarity to change direction. If you tell it to turn to port and it turns to port it is correct if not switch them.

That's what I thought too about just hooking them up and if its wrong just switch them. BUT, my concern is in the directions it says to install steering drive with wheel fully turned to starboard, which it is. So if I hook it up wrong and it tries to steer to starboard, its already maxed out. Would that cause damage to the drive motor?

If the wires are blue and brown, typically the brown will be considered positive and the blue will be negative. I would assume if they are red and black that red is positive and black is negative.

That's what I thought too about just hooking them up and if its wrong just switch them. BUT, my concern is in the directions it says to install steering drive with wheel fully turned to starboard, which it is. So if I hook it up wrong and it tries to steer to starboard, its already maxed out. Would that cause damage to the drive motor?

you can install the drive unit fully to starboard then straighten the wheel then do your set up