Combat fishing

Leafybug

So I guess if I'm willing to go into battle in front of a river mouth I should expect the opportunity to lose gear, I'm fine with that. Last weekend I was fishing in front of the Boardman in GT Bay about 6 am. All my lights are on and bright, I was still setting rods so the spreaders were on and yes those are bright as well and I'm in a 25' Grady with a t-top so it's not like I was blending in with my surrondings. Out of the dark I see a 25 or 27' Baha fisherman with a hard top closing in on me. I politely tried to get their attention thinking that maybe they just didn't see us and were too possibly in the back setting rods. Nobody paid any attention what so ever. 2 guys on rods, one driving, and another I think waving at me. The closer they got, the louder I got and less friendly I became. When their starboard bow nearly wiped out my dipsy rods (yes rods not the lines) I had a meltdown. If your a member on this forum and read this you know who I am and who you are. Have some damn respect! I am willing to run short gear in a tight pack (my dipsies were within 85' and tight and riggers had next to no lead length) but when I gotta start worrying about my rods and rigger booms off the side of the boat I lose all patience and cool. Somehow mr. baha and I didnt tangle gear but just as we parted ways some guy in a center console decided to try to swap paint with me and took a right turn directly behind my stern. He managed 2 plugs (one rigger and one dipsy) and a bran new dipsy diver. After that I headed for deeper water. I'm done with you Combat Fishing Fools, I've found fish are everywhere. Just my rant...

Mr. Baha I would warn you to never get that close to a Grady with a blue t-top ever again. I will not just yell next time, I keep 1 lb thumper balls for people like you.

Tight lines to all...

Combat fishing is not fun, and I refuse to do it. I like to enjoy my time on the water, and fish can always be found outside of the combat zone.

Having someone so close to you that your rod hits their boat is not enjoyable.

I don't know what is wrong with some people in that situation. We had a guy on here post another report that he had very helpful and friendly people out in 120-180 getting out of his way when he had fish on - awesome. Why doesn't everyone get it? Just takes one dork playing bumper boats or going sideways to everyone else to ruin it.

I actually like combat fishing when everyone is working together. Kind of fun being able to see the guy next to you get a fish on, give him a thumbs up, give him some space to fight his fish, etc.

But there is always "that guy" who yells at people because he wants to run the lead core through the pack or do the opposit troll as everyone else.

I remember combate fishing Grand Haven when I was a kid with my grandfather. He had a 40' Riverqueen Houseboat (imagine the ugliest boat to ever run a downrigger). That was back in the early 80's and I clearly remember the sound of boats bouncing off the steel hull. I prefer to not think about whos fault those encounters were, but based on the language he used over the hailer, I am really hoping somebody elses.

• 2 weeks later...

It is what it is, but then, I think I-696 at 7 in the morning is fun too.

I got hit last week when a guy cut behind me, tangled lines, and then pulled up next to me up wind and didn't pay attention to wait for me to untangle his gear. Irony is two days later he cut behind me in my other boat and got my slide diver which was 50# spider wire. So this time I kept his stuff, hoping maybe he'd learn. He didn't, my buddy got his other diver an hour later when he cut behind them.....

It is what it is, but then, I think I-696 at 7 in the morning is fun too.

I got hit last week when a guy cut behind me, tangled lines, and then pulled up next to me up wind and didn't pay attention to wait for me to untangle his gear. Irony is two days later he cut behind me in my other boat and got my slide diver which was 50# spider wire. So this time I kept his stuff, hoping maybe he'd learn. He didn't, my buddy got his other diver an hour later when he cut behind them.....

Yeah 696 is a whole new sound off thread (another bad topic) lol!

Sounds like that guy running all over your gear either has too much money or absolutely no brains. Although he will be good for keeping our local gear shops busy!

Probably not many here will remember the first years of fishing Platte Bay in the 1960's. Downriggers had yet to be developed and sonar was rare so it was mostly sight fishing. Imagine a few hundred boats all trolling in the same direction and then "veering" right or left following the porpoising salmon. All trolling was flat lines with some amount of weight attached. That took cooperation and it all worked for the most part. I think it says a lot about the change in the attitude many people carry now as opposed to 50 years ago.

Was the only one in the channel yesterday afternoon, same guy comes into the channel pulling his same two divers set on 7 or whatever the hell he sets them on that makes them go way to the side.

I looked over at him, stood up and announced "stay the hell away from me".

He did, which was funny as in the 30 mph wind we were both trolling sideways more than forward.....

James, I think your spot on with the changing attitudes, I wasn't around back then but from what it seems fishing used to be a leisurly passtime...

Kevin, it sounds like you have a friend for life in that guy! ha ha ha, way to set him straight right away