New to Coho Fishing

Understand that the WI guys are fishing deeper water than we usually are, and the fish are a little bigger when they get that far north. That's why you'll see more deep presentations in their methods.

Around here some days you can't get too shallow. In the brown blast last year we had 9 coho in the first 15 minutes, and since you were only supposed to keep a three man limit and quit once you had 15 fish, we went up north of the channel and fished right up against the beach, leaving room in the cooler, within the rules, in case we got something bigger. We were still taking (and releasing, to stay within tournament rules - even though the coho we were letting go were bigger than some in our cooler) coho on the beach-most board which was in about 2' of water.

We were able to pull one nice king in there, which made us glad about releasing coho to leave room in our box for a bigger fish. Would have hate to had 15 coho and then caught that king, as it would have been against the rules to keep it being our 16th fish.

U dont need riggers, We will be out of St Joe again this year, for spring coho, get some #0 dipsy's use about a 6' leader to a 000 dodger any color as long as it is red, about 30" of leader to a Siggs Rigs coho candy fly, ( I prefer something with gold and red) u can run several of these, then the Brads thin fin in Red coach dog pattern on mono boards and u cant go wrong. Find the warmest water in the area, usually the river plume or go south to the Chalets and fish to the Power plant. U dont need to be any deeper than 25 FOW and fish the top 10'. The fact is coho are a piece of cake. Everyone limits out regularly. Give us a call on channel 68 we can help u out. Just call the MC squared. Always glad to pass on info. If u PM me I will give u my cell #. BTW the Dirty Dog Kicked my but last year. See ya out there Terry.

Any good places to stay in the area???

Lots of motels and hotels in St Joe and Benton Harbor, I suggest u look in St Joe first. Use the St Joe launch, there is a 5 dollar daily parking fee but the launch is really nice and it is safe from vandalism. Cant say the same for the Benton Harbor DNR launch. If u want tackle u can find the fishin hole in ST JOE. Good folks.

If the wind blows south and pushes the plume north, do you look there?

I've always gone south as every one else seems to, but I know last year at the Brown Blast there was a school about 4 miles north on Friday that was about 7 miles north on Saturday.

If the wind blows south and pushes the plume north, do you look there?

I've always gone south as every one else seems to, but I know last year at the Brown Blast there was a school about 4 miles north on Friday that was about 7 miles north on Saturday.

Kevin u know u have to go where the fish are, but The river plume is generally the warmest water around and the fish tend to like that. I found a few north last year but never got 7 miles north until May. The Browns will be on the beach and you are one of the best at gettin em. Your small boat lets u do what my bigger boat can't and sometimes I am envious.