2012 WMFL Rules, and dates.

2012 West Michigan Fishing league Official Rules

Event 1,2,3,and 4 set lines at 6 am and pull lines at Noon

Event 5 set lines at 7 am and pull lines at 1pm

We will fish predicted seas of 1-3' or less. (or game day call)

If small craft advisories are in effect we, will not fish.

I would like to encourage reports posted from teams after the events.

We would not exist without the site's.

Please be open to helping other league members.

1. Communications encouraged on channel 72. Keep it clean for this

is a family oriented event.

2. Max of 8 rods in the water at one time.

3. Tourney Fees. 15 dollars for tourney, 5 dollars for big fish.

4. Tourney Pay Outs will be

a. 1st place 50%

b. 2nd Place 30%

c. Mystery weight 20%

d. Tiebreaker will be biggest fish.

e. Big fish, is winner take all of big fish money.

f. Mystery weight amount will be drawn the day of the event.

5. Weigh your top 6 fish. Weigh Big Fish First. Only one fish may be

weighed per boat for Big Fish.

a. 5-Lakers

b. 10-Coho

c. 10-Kings

d. 15-Steelhead

e. 20-Brown

f. Point Per Pound

6. Max of 3 DNR limits of fish per boat may be kept.

7. Money is due at weigh-in, unless

you catch me before I leave the dock. Gentleman's honor to pay.

8. Start out of the same port as the weigh in.

9. If two members are fishing together, than the boat they are fishing out of gets the points.

10. Follow all other State and Federal Laws. The captain is responsible for his crew. Keep it safe.

11. Blow date will be the following day. If both day are blow days, it will be a lost tourney.

13. You do NOT need to fish all events to partake in this league.

2012 West Michigan Fishing League Dates.

Holland DNR launch located next to (east of) Yacht Basin Marina.

Approx. 1840 Ottawa Beach Rd. Holland, Mi 49424

Weight in will be held in the overflow parking lot across the street, next to the fish cleaning station.

The battle of the Leagues will be the MSCST against the WMFL.

Tentative dates are:

May 12 Holland

June 2 Holland

July 7 Holland

Aug 11 Battle of the leagues. Grand Haven. Launch at the Coho drive ramp.(not yet confirmed)

Sept 8 Holland

The winner of the league for 2012 will receive a guided night time Walleye trip by me in November, or December. (If they desire.)

Edited by Nailer

I'm in again too Ken, hopefully we will have better weather this year :) I do know I won't be able to make the third event because I will be in Colorado for a wedding.

Oh, and do you mean weigh 5 fish or are we increasing the number this year?

The changes for this year are;

1,weigh 6 fish of any species

2, lakers @ 5 points, and coho @ 10 points

3, mystery weight for 3rd place.

I changed the point system to be more inline with the MSCST guys.

The Mystery weight will be determined by a card draw, and who ever is closest to that weight will win 3rd place money. 1st, 2nd, and big fish winners can not win mystery weight.

This gives the teems with lesser catches to have a chance at a prize.

I hope to have sponsors again this year.

My plan for the sponsors is to get enough product to allow every one to use it, and have a prize for whoever gets the biggest fish on that product.

Work is slower this year, so I should be able to get to a couple of these. Now all I need is a charter boat to hook up with for current intel so I can set up on top of fish in every event and not have to waste the best hour or two setting up my program.

Kevin if your nice to those guys, they will help you.

Work is slower this year, so I should be able to get to a couple of these. Now all I need is a charter boat to hook up with for current intel so I can set up on top of fish in every event and not have to waste the best hour or two setting up my program.

Wow?!?interesting

Time on the water, and 33 yrs fishing out of a port dont hurt ether!:)

So to Dave's point Ken, if we are weighing 6, is it whatever 6 the boat chooses. I know last year we were doing DNR limits but that won't really work now. Also, What is the date for the B4K tournament this year?

I changed the fish amount to be the same as the Muskegon guys, so yes to weighing in any 6 fish.

The bfk is Saturday July 28th out of Muskegon.

They are signing up now. If you plan to fish it get with Jim Six. The facebook page is here.

I'll just flat out say it: I don't think it's fair for those of us who fish once a week, maybe once every other week to fish against someone in a "fun" league that first mates on a charter boat and fishes 4-5 times a week. Hence my hesitation to fish these events last year.

That said, last event, the fish were at the piers and I just choked. We went 4/11 and had the fish to win. Being on the phone with work for 2 hours while trying to troll in the fog didn't help.

Also, I see there's no rule 12. Let's make that "no fishing shrimp for steelies from an anchored boat."

Rule changes look positive. Going to make for new strategies.....

I personally asked Terry to fish the league last year. I wanted his expertise to be available to all. Terry will give information to anyone that asks. I believe it's a plus to have that kind if experience in the group. I know that Terry would give anyone that ask the location, depth, lures, and all other details about where and what is working.

And fyi, My son Jacob works as a First Mate during the summer.

I don't fish these events because of the distance (shore to shore for me). I have nothing to gain or lose by what happens. If someone is breaking the rules that is one thing but when someone out fishes you that's another. This site and event is supposed to be FRIENDLY. Let's try and keep it that way. I think rules can be up for discussion but remarks targeting one individual is not in the spirit of this site or these events. The individual being targeted has helped me and others on this site and on the water. Ask a question and you get a honest answer. As far as getting insider information from charters I think he gives more information than he gets. Outsider looking in.

PS: Anyone looking for a busted up old slug to fill in for one event I could be persuaded. I would be be happy to help with expenses. I can get in your way, set lines, p!$$ you off, and take the helm if needed. I must have at least a days notice. It would be nice but not necessary to get a pre or post trip in also. It's a long drive for me so the mo fishing the better. It's always good the see the boys from the sunset side.

Proiority 1 Your always welcome to ride on the Tin can.... as long as you dont weigh twice as much as me.... small boat... big guys... not a good deal lol.

Dave, Thanks for the offer but ya know us old folks need a comfortable rocking chair.:)

Looks like I will be able to make the first 3 but the last 2 are out due to work. As far as Terry fishing, I don't have an issue with it. He's not a charter captain, so it doesn't violate the rules. I spend less time on the water than probably anyone but have still managed to do ok in these events (generally speaking). Besides, Terry won this league before he was working as a mate. Maybe his ability to catch fish had something to do with him becoming a mate? Anyway Kevin, I hope you fish because I enjoy competing against you but if you don't like the rules and don't want to fish that is your decision. Everyone knows the rules in advance and can make their own choice about wether or not to fish.

Here is Terry's secret. what every road kill he passes on the way to the ramp he picks it up, ties it to a dock line and drags it along the side of the boat. the fish go crazy over this... :grin:

you should give it a try.:thumb:

what works best is Skunk. make sure to rub the dead critter all over yourself and the crew for best results before putting in the water.

I'll just flat out say it: I don't think it's fair for those of us who fish once a week, maybe once every other week to fish against someone in a "fun" league that first mates on a charter boat and fishes 4-5 times a week. Hence my hesitation to fish these events last year.

That said, last event, the fish were at the piers and I just choked. We went 4/11 and had the fish to win. Being on the phone with work for 2 hours while trying to troll in the fog didn't help.

Also, I see there's no rule 12. Let's make that "no fishing shrimp for steelies from an anchored boat."

Rule changes look positive. Going to make for new strategies.....

I tend to agree with your line of thinking FBD. I thought about doing this for 2012 but looking at the payouts it just doesnt entice me. We'll have to see how it pans out for this year. I like a top percentage payout... like top third of participation get a cut. If its 10 boats --3 places, 20 boats-- 6 places.