Raymarine or humminbird?

sslopok

I pick up my new boat tomorrow and need a combo unit. I have it narrowed down to 2. 1st is a humminbird 788 ci. The 2nd is a Raymarine Raymarine A-Series Chartplotter/Fishfinder with Inland US Charts.

My last boat had a Humminbird 757 ci and I liked it but I had to send it in the first year for a new transducer. Customer service had it back in a week though. I also didn't really care for how the unit snapped into the mount.

I can get the bird for less than $500. I can get the Raymarine for just over $700. I have heard nothing but great things about the Raymarine. Just want to know if it is worth the extra $215?

I have a place on Houghton Lake so that's where it will mostly be used. I will also be fishing the Sag Bay, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan.

Spending the money for the Raymarine isn't a problem as long as I am getting a superior product.

Thanks

Brandon

I can't compare the two, but I put the 788Ci Humminbird on my boat this year and loved it. One season so far and no problems. I agree with you though about how the transducer snaps into the mount. But the clarity and accuracy of the GPS is what sold me.

some of the difference between a hummingbird and the raymarine are the user controls. When you start getting into the raymarine lowrance and furunos you have complete control of the unit where hummingbird still limits some things that are adjusted by certain other settings. Dont get me wrong hummingbird is a great unit but just limits some of the things you can do. If you want to get the most out of a unti you need to learn all the setting and how to adjust them and how each change affects another change. The only unit that allowed complete control when i was shopping two years ago was the top of the line hummingbird in thier line. Lowrance and eagle do the same thing as hummingbird with their lower end units. To get complete control you had to go into a HDS unit Raymarine or furuno unit. I ended up with an hds unit and absolutely love it. One reason i like the lowrance is i liked the menus setups better then the rays and furunos. Also with the broad band it is putting more rms power to the transducer than any other maker which allows you to see more and distinguish more on the screen. It is kind of like comparing a point and shoot camera to a dslr. Just something to consider while looking is how much control do you want to have and how much you really want to mess with the unit while fishing.

I have fished with all the new (and old) Furuno, Raymarine, Humminbird, and Si-Tex units. Whether they are on my boat or a friends. During the Spring of 2010 we purchased two Humminbird units for our Bayliner. I have no doubt that the Humminbird stuff will stand it's own next to the units mentioned above.

I have had people who run the Furuno 585 on their boats comment on how nice the Humminbird stuff on mine is, and that is supposed to be the top dog when it comes to Great Lakes fish finders. For what you get for the price alone puts Humminbird at the top of my list. The ease of use in the menu's, and the great GPS makes them even sweeter. We are currently running an 1157 for our FF and a 958 for our GPS.

Humminbird is also very good at rolling out updates as they improve their units and capabilities. I am currently playing a role in one of these as I just sent in a recording of something I didn't like. Once they figure out why it is doing that they will probably issue an update, which is super easy to do on the Humminbird units. Just knowing that a company is pro-actively working to make a great product even better makes me want to stick with them. My units are creeping up on 1000 hours of use, and I have not had one ounce of problems with them. Also, as mentioned above their customer service is VERY good, which should also carry some weight in your decision. If you have any questions about the Humminbird units feel free to PM me.

I can definitely chime in on a few features of the Humminbird.

First off, as far as that quick release mount, I wasn't crazy about it either. But I have to say, I've had a couple of the 700 Series units and can honestly say that the mount has never given me even the slightest problem. It's nice that the unit just snaps in and out of there, and that the whole thing swivels. And it's free with the unit - not, like $80 like a RAM mount or whatever...

And, as afar as the durability, here's one heck of an example:

I've had a 700 Series unit on my duckboat since 2007. I have never taken it off. It sits outside in the rain, snow, freezing temps all year long. And, when duck hunting, the abuse is even worse. I have never had a problem with the unit, the GPS, anything. It comes on and locks up every time. The screen, believe it or not, is actually still clear and in good shape. But, honestly, I've done everything but literally smash this thing in an attempt to destroy it, and it keeps working.

So consider those things when comparing.

good luck

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going with the Humminbird 788 ci combo. It was on sale at Gander for $499 at gander plus another $50 off if you spent $250. Total with tax it was $476. I couldn't pass that up. Another thing to check off my list of things I need for the new boat!

Brandon

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going with the Humminbird 788 ci combo. It was on sale at Gander for $499 at gander plus another $50 off if you spent $250. Total with tax it was $476. I couldn't pass that up. Another thing to check off my list of things I need for the new boat!

Brandon

That list is never ending. Ya know boys and their toys.:)

The kicker is I had just gotten my Lund outfitted last winter for the big water and never even got the boat wet. Had some family issues and chose to sell it with new tracks, riggers, bert rod holders,etc. Now I am starting all over. I do have a better big water platform with my new boat though:) It is kinda fun transforming a boat into a fishing machine. Just wish the new boat had atleast one thing done already when I bought it!