How long does mono line keep???

UBDSLO1

Ok, was cleaning out the "man cave" and I came across a storage container I forgot that I had, gotta love it. 15 new "J's", 2 dipsy's, about 30 spoons, some misc. and 10 packs of Berkley Trilene XT, which I bought at China-Mart(Wal-Mart) about 5 years ago. The line was on the clearance shelf, for a dollar a pack(box). Who knows how long it was on the shelf prior. So, you guys think it's still good, and usually how long does line keep in storage. It's been out of sunlight and stored indoors.

BTW, it's 14lb. test that I'll use for river kings this fall...

Thanx!!!

Out of sunlight and kept dry? Try bending/twisting it around. If it's turned brittle you will be able to tell. Cut off a two foot section and tie a couple loop knots in both ends. Hook one to a nail and another to a fish scale and pull till it breaks. That will give you a decent idea of it's worth. I would not be surprised if it's still good to go.

Chris

The white powder is from the manufacturing process on some mono lines. XT is horrible for the powder but it doesn't mean the line is breaking down.

I was told by a berkley rep years ago when they used to come to the shows that as long as it is in no direct sunlight and kept in a cool, dry place it will keep basically forever. Terry said that if you have the room in a fridge or freezer that it is best stored there so it stays cool. Berkley actually stores all their mono line in big fridge units till it ships out. He also said the number one killer is the sunlight itself and then heat second. I buy all my light line 6 and 8 lb test for river fishing in bulk spools and keep them in the fridge in the basement. I am going on like 6-8 years on my one spool of 8lb and no problems with it breaking or acting weaker then the day purchased.