South Haven 09-03-11

Went fishing Saturday morning with friend Jeff Moreau out of South Haven. Wound up going 9-11. 8 Kings and one nice Steelhead.

Set lines around 6:45 in 70 feet of water straight out from the pier head running a glow program of mostly Moonshine spoons. Took our first fish around 100’ and had fairly steady action out to 135’ (4-6) off of our down riggers and dispeys. Most productive depths were between 55’ and 75' down. Glow bloody nose, TNT and mongolian beef all took fish.

Switched over to a mix of spin doctors/flys and J-plugs in all of the usual colors as the sky brightened up and it went dead for us as we ran back in to 110’ of water and out to 135’ again a couple of times.

Thanks in part to several posts I have read on the web page about guys catching fish all day long on Moonshine spoons, I decided to switch back over to all moonshine spoons mid morning and took two more fish, then our last three around noon as we trolled back towards the pier to 110’ -100’ of water with a dispey down to 55’ and SWR on the down riggers down to 75’ & 85'. Glow bloody nose and mongolian beef again.

I have never ran glow spoons at any other time other than dark or low light conditions before, but you can bet that this will not be the last time.

One question – my lead core (1/2 & full) and copper (200’ & 300’) seem to have gone cold on me the lately. This is the first time I have ever experienced this. I also seem to catch more fish the past two years off of spoons than my flashers and flys. Is it just me or has any one noticed the same thing?

This salmon fishing is a lot like women – just when you think you have it all figured out………..

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/3/1/9/09-03-11_glf.jpg

36 hits in my last three trips, only one is on a flasher fly. I didn't even have them on the boat today. I know my program and f/f are usually part of it, but for me lately it's been mag moonshines and size 4 J's.

Just because everyone's posting or talking on the radio about something doesn't mean you need to run it.