N II DEEP go all the way or Cheap

Go Cheap and Fish or go all the way?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Go Cheap and Fish or go all the way?

• Cheap / Fish
    • full Rebuild

Well I think I have already made up my mind. but lets ask the question

as some of you already know, the motor froze up on the boat, I have it torn down, found a bent connecting rod, a cup of water, and a cracked piston.

imag0308.jpg

a Few questions

1. replace just whats broke and fish?

2. keep the boat down for rest/most of season an do a full rebuild.

I have had many kind offers from the great folks here on the site and I will be out as much as I can.

it has been fun tearing down a V8 - I've done small engines before.

also if you have any suggestions on where to take heads to be redone or a good shop to bore out the block send me a PM.

also have been searching the web for a source for complete rebuild kits.

if any one has a source for all the parts here in West Michigan as I would like to keep a sale to a shop here than a mail order house out of FL, TX or CA.

Jon I work for a large phone company as a fleet mechanic,and as such I can get a really good discount on a new rebuilt jasper marine engine for your boat,being a nation wide fleet account they give us a price that is even better than jobber price.I would be happy to price one for you Monday.

Also something to think about is the warrenty that comes with a jasper engine.

Anyway let me know.

Randy

Jon

I would do a full rebuilt , I have rebuilt alot of motors in my days , If you just do a bottom rebuilt the top end will need to be rebuilt in a few years and you will have to go and pull the motor again and in the long run may cost you more then the rebuilt. I sent you a pm on someone I have used and will always use . And he loves fishing .

luremaker

its really hard to help you make that kind of decision. but if your planning on keeping the boat for awhile, that gives you your answer right there. if you rebuild now or go with one of those jasper longblocks, you,ll be good to go for years to come. just my opinion. when my old engine went bad i went to michigan motorz and bought his silver package. which is a 5.7 vortec 320 hp double pump holley to the oil pan for 3600.00. used my alternator power steering pump and starter. that was 4 yrs ago, and i have been very pleased. but i wasnt up to rebuilding it myself. and i just didnt trust one of those 1000.00 rebuilds on ebay. and i didnt have somebody offering to get me a good price on a jasper long block. as a matter of fact i wasnt even up to changing the motor out. that costed me another 800.00 at michigan motorz. i took it up there one morning and brought it home that night. went fishing the next week end.

sherman

I'd replace or rebuild. My theory has always been if your car breaks down you can always get out and walk, it's a lot tougher to do that on a boat! Short term pain (loss of boat time, money) for a long term gain (fresh motor that's reliable for you and your family).

Not sure what you were implying by your comment jason but I'm pretty sure I can get the Jasper cheaper than you could rebuild it in your garage

Hi Randy - Let me know what what that Jasper motor cost is, that might be the way to go. been doing some web price shopping today and I'm not really happy with prices I'm see right now.

June does have an extra pay period in it for me so I might be able to swing for that long block after all.

I think that all Jason meant was it's easy for us to say since we aren't the ones paying the bills.

yea i think thats what he was saying. its just easy to tell somebody elce to go with the more expensive, when its not coming out of our pocket.

but we all think its good of you to make him that offer. jasper has a good rep. i dont think he would be going wrong with that choice. and they do stand behind there motors. hope he can swing the money and get back on the water. good fishing.

sherman

Take the time and do it right.

I had a buddy who had nickel and dime stuff going on all the time, finally dropped the cash and got the boat running great - no more nagging issues. Then his tow vehicle grenaded.

Don't be afraid to drop me a PM if you want to go out on my dime. Sucks not being able to fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a rebuild marine motor from a guy named Randy Hilbrand in Zeeland MI. Mark "Just Hookin'" turn me onto him, after about a week of trying to get his correct last name and phone number I picked up the short block (Thanks Mark:thumb:). He is an old tool and die guy that started building race motors as a hobby and it turn into a full time shop for him.

We have most of the motor reassembled I need to pick up a exhasht manifold and engine coupler yet and a few other small odds and ends. hope to be back on the water in by the 4th of July. I am also repainting the engine conpartment with a white expoxy, should look alot better and will be able to see better.

it has actually been kinda fun to do the work, its like a big heavy jig saw:confused: puzzle, the drain on the checking account is anonther issue:eek:.

I also want to thank all those that have helped or offer to help, it is what makes this site great. :thumb:

hey its good to hear back from you. and that your so close to being on the water. you said in your last post you picked up the short block. did you get a short block or long block.

looks like your going to get on the water before me anyway. i bought a boat last fall that needed alittle work. and im just not able to work on them anymore. so its been at the marina since last fall. they have really been jerking me around. they said it needed some parts and they had them in and would get to it soon. every time i went out to check on it i got the same story. well last mon i went out and got to talk to the mechanic thats been working on it. he said he had all the parts on it and the motors were running good. but the wiring was a mess that everything had been rigged. so he needs to get that all taken care of. he also said the trim pumps on both outdrives had been unhooked, and he didnt know why. i told him if they were bad to not get new pumps. i dont want to pay 700.00 each for them. i already have one i bought for a spare for my other boat and i could get the other one. i asked about how much longer he would need. he said about a full day. that was on mon. and i still havent heard from them. but he didnt say when he would get to it.LOL. maby by christmas. you think!!! and then i,ve got to do all the rigging on it. and with my health thats going to take some time.

sherman

Id jump on a jasper in a heart beat. On the charter boat i worked on years back we went through 3 sets of motors. First 4 were mercruisers. The last two were Jasper rebuilds. They were better than the original motors...Never had an issue with them at all....Fantastic motors once theyre done with em!