Grand Rapids Hotels

killerbe20

Looking for some opinions on where to stay in Grand Rapids. Would like to be downtown so i can just walk back and forth from the sports show but the "downtown tax" is making me look else where.

seems like the airport area may be better? anyone know about parking downtown?

Airport is way out of the way. just south of town 10-15 mins you can find rooms near 44th street.

down town would the way to go for the show.

as far as parking, if you have a taller truck you plan on bringing you won't fit into most of the ramps. my expedition rubs pipes in the city garage acrossed from the show. :eek: and the ht pipe at the enterence is just swinging after I go thru.....

Let me find out. i should know on parking in a couple weeks. Usually the city sets up two of its lots for free parking then they have a bus running all the time of the show. Takes about 10 minutes round trip on the bus from the lots to the front doors. You can also look into grand village inn. they are in grandville. its about 10 minutes from downtown and a nice safe area with plenty of restaurants. I live right down the road and can show you around town a little when you get in.

here is there contact info:

Grand Village Inn

3425 Fairlane SW

Grandville, MI 49418

Toll Free: (800)237-8737

Phone: (616)532-3222

Are you driving in or flying in?

I agree with Line Dancing.Grandville is clean, safe, and still close to g.r. There are motels at 28th and division avenue but how clean and safe they are I cant commint as I moved from that area 6yrs ago. From Grandville to show is 15 min drive 196 east to 131 south to second exit then maybe 4 city blocks and you are there.I dont rember the name of the motel but its behind the YMCA and its very nice and reasonablely rates I have stayed a few times on new years highly recommend them.

thanks for the info guys! i kinda had information overload looking for hotels outside of downtown. some reviews i was reading stated a few of them were in shady neighborhoods.

arron - i am driving, i may have to take you up on the offer to show me around if there is time.

tony - the pool/hot tub is a definite must! and a few beers!

this show doesn't do passes they set up the lot for the exhibitors and have the busses run. I have worked this show for the last eight years and it has never changed. If you use any of the lots they are owned by ellis or by fifth third and they charge by the day. there is parking underneath the building but that fills so quick that it isn't even worth it to try. It is also charged by the day.

Grandvilliage inn has a very nice pool and hot tube area. also the wireless internet system in there is top of the line. I should know i built and installed all their new PCs and wireless devices. but that is a good rate where tony is staying. I think grandvillage is like 80 a night.

thanks for the parking info. that sounds good. i cant even remember where i parked last year, it may actually have been on the street by a meter

i forgot about internet! definitely need to have that. i could not imagine four days without it. i just got my first "smart" phone a month ago and i already can not imagine life without it

I think the metered parking on the streets is FREE on the weekends. ;)

The hard part is finding a spot.

Right on both accounts. Most of the spots are taken up by about 7 am from the people working on saturdays downtown. I had a 8 am class downtown near there at the eberhard center in the spring of 2009. there waas no parking after 7:30 in the metered areas.

• 2 weeks later...

well, after not being able to decide on a place on my own, and not wanting to pay for the nicer places, i finally let priceline.com choose for me.

i named my own price, got turned down a few times, but finally ended up with Springhills Suites by Marriott in Walker for $54 a night! i couldn't believe it! they are advertising $100 a night for that same time frame through all the internet sites. hopefully all ends up as it appears.

i have heard that they sometimes give you rooms next to elevators, vending machines, high traffic areas, basically the least desired rooms. thats fine with me. just being able to go to sleep knowing im not going to loose any years off of my life from the tones going off for a call in the middle of the night is enough for me to sleep like a baby.

josh,

that location is good, you will only be 5-10 mins from downtown depending on trafic. $54 a night is a very good rate. good luck at the show, I plan to go down on Thursday night.

jon

well, after not being able to decide on a place on my own, and not wanting to pay for the nicer places, i finally let priceline.com choose for me.

i named my own price, got turned down a few times, but finally ended up with Springhills Suites by Marriott in Walker for $54 a night! i couldn't believe it! they are advertising $100 a night for that same time frame through all the internet sites. hopefully all ends up as it appears.

i have heard that they sometimes give you rooms next to elevators, vending machines, high traffic areas, basically the least desired rooms. thats fine with me. just being able to go to sleep knowing im not going to loose any years off of my life from the tones going off for a call in the middle of the night is enough for me to sleep like a baby.

• 3 weeks later...

Josh when do you think youll be in town. Looks like our move in day was changed to thursday now. We had our booth moved to a batter location last minute. I have to be down at the show for set up around noon it sounds like.

Also parking is set up again this year on seward for vendors at teh show. they will have a bus running nonstop during the show to the front doors.