New to Lake Erie Walley Guy (Lk MI Rookie)

Ok, went to cleveland boat show over the weekend to listen the the lake Erie experts. learned some good pointers on gear, different types of setups.

biggest thing I see, they guys that talked all have little boats with elec. trolling motors.

unless I'm in deep water how am I going to sneak up on these fish without spook'in them off.

Frank - I sure you will have a few pointers as I seen pic's of your boat, my is very simliar in size. I just want to be ready for spring.

I will be docked in Vermilion, OH - every one says that a prime area for summer. they also said early spring, late fall right in front of the pier plan on steelhead time. now that I can get into.

until I hook into a few of them eyes I'll hold my opinion about this type of fishing, worst thing that could happen is I hall the boat back to Michigan and leave it there for to just fish like I did last summer. (I really miss Lake Michigan)

another question. when running dipsy's will the eye's still make that reel scream? I sure it won't sound like a king, but hearing a diver go off was the best part of a lake Michigan fish trip.

if any one can point me to any local Ohio forums to check that would be great.

Sorry Jon, the fight of a walleye is going to be a disappointment after fishing kings on Lake Michigan. I would suggest you target the steelies when you can to get your fill of fighting fish. Then you can spend the summer reeling in those tasty branches, I mean walleye:)

Walleye on erie will be a dissapointment for you in the fight area. When one hits they come up to the surface and just lay there while you reel them in. the way you have a walleye down there or a junk fish is to watch for the fish on the surface with it mouth open. If you thought a laker was a log and no fight wwit till you get a walleye on. 3/4 of the time they will not trip a dipsy let alone make a reel scream. But they sure are worth the chase eating wise. I am actually going to lite bite slide divers for walleye this year. Big boards will be your friend down there. I have otterboats that i use. and pull up to five rods per board. two divers and two riggers. All with 12lb test and ministreaks. Pinks and purples with copper backs are best.

You'll be docked in the land of monster eye's. Probably isn't a better place in the world to catch a double digit eye than that area in the fall.

I run size 0 dipseys for eyes and when set right they will trip 90% of the time.

I have to disagree with you guys on the fight. Sure if you're running 2.5 mph with 15 lb test, a jet diver, and a trolling rod you're basically reeling in a skipper. But drop the speed to 1mph with a 2 ounce inline and a harness and you can have some fun, especially when one of the big girls grabs ahold:D Definitely not a king though

Jon, Walleye are not noted for screaming drags. We have taken Kings, Steelhead, Lakers, Northern Pike and Whitefish on crawler harnesses. Walleye can be spooky so the boards work well. We fish them in the shallow and deep water. Some times the walleye can be very aggressive and not spooky at all. We had a walleye hit a bare crawler harness soaking in the prop wash waiting to be baited in 12 FOW. Trees work well for boards and when conditions are right we let it all hang out, running 10 boards and 2 lines over the side for a total of 12 lines. Walleye don't seem to care what method is used to put the goods in their faces. Divers (jets & dipsys), Snap Weights, Bouncers, Rubber Core, In-Line weights, Leadcore, Riggers, etc can all be used successfully on walleye. Use a program your comfortable with and fine tune it. Like always little things mean a lot. Find out what they want and give em lots of it.:)

Frank, I have trees and 6 church boards already so I'm set up that way. 4 dispys good that way. Ohio only allows 2 lines per person, 5 people on the boat is very crowded so I figure the max I will have out at one time will be 8 lines with 4 people in the boat.

I just hope I enjoy this as much as big Fish.

I hope you do well, I was just in Huron this fall for a weekend and it was a blast.

We didn't kill the Walley for limits speek but we managed 25 for three of us for 2 1/2 days. My boat is 23ft and I don't have a kicker, just ran bags. Were definitly planning the same trip next fall. Have a Great summer!