Lead Core Set Up Question

propman

Most guys use 27# and up to 10 colors. You can go more if you wish, but after 10 colors, most guys go to copper. More depth for less line. Dont forget your gonna want a couple hundred yards of backer on there. I run 30# Power Pro as backer on my lead core set ups. For my 45# copper i run 50# power pro as backer. In both instances i run a 20# leader to my bait. That way if somethign breaks its likely the leader and not the backer or core/copper......Penn 330 GTi works great for 10 color.

I'm glad you guys realized that rubber banding a weight, 1/2#, 1#, or even 2# is very effective to get the line deeper. About 8 years ago I was fishing way out in 350'+ of water, with only one other boat/charter around me. He was trolling slower and as we started to catch up, I kept my course on a west, he was sw. As I crossed something like 750' behind him, he came on the radio yelling that I was cutting him off. Hmmm, I asked him how that could be, and he stated he had 2-1/2 cores of lead behind him. I couldn't help but start laughing right on the air, and told him he didn't need 3 football fields of line out to get his lure deep enough. Later I called him on the phone to give out the wt. secret you guys just mentioned. I don't think he actually changed over for another 3-4 years afterwards though. Btw, a bigger lead core of 55# is also a better way to get deeper with less line. I use Big Game 25# & 30# backer, not as expensive as power pro, does a good job for me too. If you can handle a big reel w/o levelwind, the Penn 49 wire reel is a less expensive tool too.

The pound rating on leadcore is the sheath breaking strength, not the weight. I run mostly 27# and even 18#. I have been using the Stinger Divebombs the last few years to get extra depth out of my core rods. Since they are only a few dollars each it as a cheap way to gain some versatility in your setup.

If anyone is interested about great core/copper reels look into Okumas 553ls high speed Clarion. Great drag and 53" a turn. Used them all last season. 300yds of 50lb power pro/ 300 ft of 45ib copper/40ft leader fits perfect.