Leadcore lenghts

So, as setting up the boat continues I have another question, this time about my leadcore setups. In the past I have always run 1 pole per side, normally at a full core (both setups are spooled with full cores). Now that I am going to be running 2 setups per side, I would like to get the some of them rigged with shorter cores on them. My question is what do you recommend for lengths? I'd like to keep a full core as it has always served me well but I think I should make the other three shorter. Also, what do you guys run for leaders off of the core. Right now I have a 25lb test leader and I am thinking about making it quite a bit lighter, maybe 15 lbs?

Ben, If you are going to have a limited # of cores maybe consider some short cores that weight can be added to get them deeper. The two and three color are very versatile. Snap weights, Dive Bombs, Rubber Core sinkers are ways to get the short cores deeper. The two and three color cores can also be run off downriggers as a SWR (Secret Weapon Rig). You may also want to consider some copper, as the trend seems to be heading in that direction. :)

Ben, if it was my decision I would add two copper setups and a two color that could double for a SWR. This is because I generally do better with the deeper running copper and core setups, but you need to find out what works best for you. If you wanted to go strictly with core I would take the second full core and split it into an 8 and 2 color and then add a 5 color. Like Frank said you can always add weight to you cores to get them down deeper. For leaders I have been running 17# fluorocarbon with good success.

I'm with Kyle on this one. It all really depends on the water temp your fishing. This year on our side of the lake the fish (salmon) where deeper than a short core would go.

A 300, and a 350' 32# supper copper rig ran inside the full cores would work nice. The link Josh posted has the 32# copper. Like Josh said, the 30# fluoro is the way to go.

A 55 series reel is a must.

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going to go with Josh's suggested lengths so that I can cover more of the water column. I just ordered a spool of 30# flouro from Blood Run and also ordered on of their flasher organizers as well (no more throwing them in a box). I defiantly am interested in running a few SWR's this coming season and see how they produce.

• 2 months later...

Run both fulls on one side and the other lines on the other side. If the outside full gets hooked up, move the inner one out and then replace the outer one in, if that makes sense.

Half cores are studs for me all year. Even when the temp break is way down there, if we can we still run half and 7 colors and take fish, especially early and late.