planer mast questions

jimbobber

Ok everyone i am considering adding planer board mast to my rocket launcher but first have a couple of questions on how to run them as i never have.

Can you run copper and lead off them and how?seems like if you slide every thing out after each fish you will tangle every thing up if you get a fish on the outside but deep lines?

I have lots of problems with in lines jumping at higher trolling speeds so would a big planer board set up on my trees be better ?

How wide of a spread can you get with this kind of set up?

Any impute would be helpful as Im not sure I want to go this route yet.

jimmy

basically with big boards you want to stay with the same length lines. like when we are walleye fishing we run four to five rods per board but all the same length to the mini disc. when we start we run 90' 80' 70' 60' back to find the fish once we find where they are feeding everthing is at the same feet back. In the old days on erie we never used the divers just hot n tots, and you can do the same in the spring for browns and steelies between the sand bars. You can get them way out beyond what inlines would pull depending on the boards you use. My dad used to use triples and they were a PITA to get back to the boat and put a lot of strain on everything. I was put on to the otter boats by big jon this year from a friend that charters on erie, and they pull out nicely without all the hard pulling on everything like my dads old triples. with copper and lead it would be the same way. if the fish are deep you could run like four 300 ft coppers withough worry of tangle i would assume i have not tried it as of yet but am thinking about it for next year as i now have 4 300' coppers rigged and ready.

on your boat you could put the reels back on your trees or in that area but you need to run pulleys up front more on your boat so that they are running straighter out from your rod holders. you dont want your mono going over the planer line as it can tangle in the releases clips. so you would still want some kind of mast further up on your boat to get the planer line up high enough so that it isn't draggin in the water.

I have pulled my Off Shore boards 7 mph with no issues how fast you trolling? I hated my mast and big boards for off shore fishing at different depths cause you have to pull everything to reset a shallow line on the outside. also they pull worse fast than inlines from my experience. However if you have big enough boards you can pull anything behind them. I want to put Jay out in his Kayak as a board in the spring for browns he can cast the shoreline and we can troll a nice setup.

I personally like running boards off the mast and have for many years. I used to run a set of double boards that I made and they worked great until I recently got a set of otter boats. I was certainly impressed with the boats in how they pulled, the way they glide on the water and over the waves, the speed in which I can run them, and the ease of retrieving them. Although I do not run core, my buddy does off of his boards with no problems. I mostly run divers or spoons with inline weights and when the fish are shallow run a lot of shallow running baits and spoons with lighter weights. I have also had great success running the boards in the scum lines out of frankfort.

I have tried the in-lines several times but just don't like the extra junk on my line, especially as I run lite line. To me the in-lines are handy if I want to run one line off each side.

Thanks guys for the imput I think im going to just stick with the inlines,and mess with the weights on the boards.Jim I was trolling 4.0 to 4.8 on the gps and had boards jump all 4 times out at that speed it is ussually not a problem when i troll slower,I just have to adjust some holders on my trees this winter to get more space between rods i think.

jimmy

Thanks guys for the imput I think im going to just stick with the inlines,and mess with the weights on the boards.Jim I was trolling 4.0 to 4.8 on the gps and had boards jump all 4 times out at that speed it is ussually not a problem when i troll slower,I just have to adjust some holders on my trees this winter to get more space between rods i think.

jimmy

i had the otters and for walleye fishing they were ok but hated them for salmon for thereasons stated above.you have to make a lot wider turns with big boards too.

Jimmy

I had a hard time with my masts and big boards for a summer spread being that i run multiple dipsys off of each side and like to mix it up and run heavy cores and copper out to the side most of the summer. It ate up a lot of time shuffling rods around to reset and like someone else said when the shallow one goes you are not getting her back out without reeling in hundreds of feet of line. I just couldn't figure out how to make it easy, but if you do go that route only the otter boats will do. You also do not need the mast on the front of the boat because you can modify the fin on the otter boats and they will just about pull straight out from the boat. My mast is a part of my great lakes planer system and EASILY accessible in the middle of the boat as you can see here.

29.jpg

I went back to my custom modified inline boards for the better part of the season and have not regretted it since.

I will use them at ice out for coho because we don't use dipsys much, usually just short cores that are pretty similar from 1-4 colors and A LOT of them:D

I looked at my boards and I seem to have two styles of offshore boards ,the older one has a back fin that goes up and the newer ones go down this and the fact that i may have to turn faster and not as sharp should help me out i think.Thanks for all the imput I am going to get another board and sell the odd one ,then i am going to tune my boards (the weights) and label them for different copper and lead lengths and see if this helps.