Relative Newbie looking to learn.

Ive been trying the whole Salmon/trout fishing thing for the past 6 years with limited success. Basically my knowledge has been based on what I have seen others doing and is more of a guess in terms of patterns, weather, and reports from other anglers. My first time out was at Lexington where we caught 7 fish on spoons right in that first sandy cove there in the harbor. I watched some younger guys who were using glow yarn hook up with a fish every Minute and a half and I was hooked.

There seems to be a wealth of information on here that I would like to tap. Im starting to put more money, time, and resources into this as I try to get better.

Here is what I know.

1. Casting Spoons/cranks ie J-13's etc (there really isnt too much to this is there? cast and retrieve)

2. Using spawn... This is really the ticket I think... Most the fisherman I see are using this in some shape or form. basically seen one rig looked like an egg sinker tied with a palomar knot and the tag end about 18 inches had either the single hook or treble with the floating spawn sac.

3. Floating spawn? No idea how this is done.

Obviously there must be different rigs and nuances that I am missing. It could just be that I am in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I also believe that chance favors the prepared. I just dont feel that I know enough on this. Sorry if this has totally rambled on you guys. Any help on Rigs, Places, techniques.. is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again

Cris

I prefer pyramid sinkers on my main line with a swivel below the sinker and about a 3' leader down to the spawn. You want the sinker to be able to slide thru the line so the fish doesn't feel the weight of the sinker. I never use floaters, but they are made with little balls of styrofoam tied in with the spawn in the spawn bag.

I have not forgot about this post...

1. Casting Spoons/cranks ie J-13's etc (there really isnt too much to this is there? cast and retrieve)

There is alot more to it then that really... Weather, current, water color, bait, no bait, time of day... Some days chucking spoons is just not worth it.

2. Using spawn... This is really the ticket I think... Most the fisherman I see are using this in some shape or form. basically seen one rig looked like an egg sinker tied with a palomar knot and the tag end about 18 inches had either the single hook or treble with the floating spawn sac.

This is my fav. way to fish. Good spawn and decent weather can = alot OF FISH. I use an sinker on a snap swivel that slides up and down the main line then a bead followed by a barrel swivel. I then hook my floro leader to this. Leader could be 10'-??? It all depends.

3. Floating spawn? No idea how this is done.

I don't float spawn... no help here

I agree with everything said so far. but i do use a number 12 or 14 corky toothpicked in front of the spawn, not a floating spawn bag. clown is my favorite color in a #12. The corky will add your float to the spawn bag. i use a bait hold knot, under the loop that the bait hold knot forms i take a piece of contrasting egg yarn about 3/4 inch long split in half length wise and you have what is called a corky fly. these are used a lot out west. What happens for a river fisherman is two things it gives a double presentation of a fly and also a spawn sack, the yarn when the fish does take it tangles in it teeth and gives you a better chance of setting the hook and feeling the strike, espically for a newer river fisherman.

link to knot: http://www.sandysteelheaders.org/eggloop.html

We used to teach this when i was field testing for worden lures and yakima and helin at all the fishing shows here in michigan. Now a warning about this fly. The michigan DNR does not class a corky fly as a traditional fly so do not use this in a flies only stretch of water.

Also another way is to use a three way swivel with a dropper line about 3- 6 inches in length that you crimp just enough split onto to get it to depth. One eyelet you'll have your main line. on another 12- 36 inches leader and on the third your dropper line.