Man dies on the Ludington Pier

EdB

Another sad death on the Ludington Pier.

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/52029-man-dies-after-falling-off-breakwater?newsgroup_id=

Man dies after falling off breakwater

LDN Staff -

Saturday, September 18, 2010

A 49-year-old Indiana man has died after falling off the north breakwater this morning, police say.

Timothy Spillers, of Columbia City, Indiana, was fishing with his wife and father on the light house platform when he lost his footing and fell into Lake Michigan around 6:30 Saturday morning.

Those on the breakwater attempted to rescue him. A boat passing nearby heard yelling and was able to locate Spillers in the water and secure him in the water.

The Coast Guard recovered Spillers from them and Spillers was taken to Memorial Medical Center where he was pronounced deceased.

The Ludington Police Department, Ludinton Fire Department, Mason County Sheriff's Office Marine Division, Life EMS and Mason County Victims Assistance Unit assisted at the scene.

Mabey if someone had packed a rope or if he would have worn a lifejacket he would be able to tell about his experience. Recently I was fishing in Sault Ste Marie and I was surprised how many small children were fishing just a step from falling into the water ( no life jacket) and there is a good current there. One of these days I am sure tradgedy will strike there. My heart and prayers go out to his family.

In South Haven we have throw rings. You guys should talk to your cities about getting these. They get stolen at least once a year or misplaced and found... So you got to have someone check on them daily.

I think they need to add signs on the beaches that say the amount of deaths in the lake this year. and explain in big bold letters.

Never go further in the water than waist deep. Use the waist on the shortest person in your group. And...If it's wavy even that can be too far from shore.

All the locals know this. That's why they don't drag the local bodies out of the water 9 times out of 10.

About the throw rings, Ludington had a metting last monday about adding them at several locations along breakwall.The big hold up is they need approval from the Army corp. engeneres who actually own the breakwall. There were rings installed many years ago and they kept getting stolen.This summer has has at least 5 deaths on Ludington breakwall . The city is also considering puting a gate at first bend that will be locked during dangerous times, but agian await Army corp engeniers approval.