Needing advice , I want to River Fish.

Boltman

I dont go alot anymore, but I used a larger spinning reel and threw cranks, spoons and spawn off the same rigs. I usually use 15 lbs trilene but all my friends that go now use super lines. ( fireline and spiderwire 20lbs)

Steve

It generally depends on what water you are fishing and if you are going to fish from the bank or in a boat. The majority of the Kings caught in the rivers are by bank fishermen that target fish on the beds and cast to them and let the line run into thier mouths then hook the fish on the outside of the mouth in the corner of the mouth. The bonus is to go Steelheading and u can troll for them with Hot n Tots or other body baits, using standard spring gear and inline boards to cover water. Troll upstream dead slow and cover the holes. 8 to 10 foot rods 15 to 20# line and let her rip. Other methods are bobber fishing with spawn, drifting spawn on cross current casts and the standard drop back method. Best rigs are just any small 18' or smaller outboard powered fishing boat with appropriate rod holders.

I go to Tippy Dam (Cadillac, Mi) almost every fall for the Salmon run and use one of our 6 ft trolling rods with 30# braid (cast from shore). I use heavy tackle because of snags in the river, especially if the river is low. I throw small spoons at them most of the time. My hottest color is gold and red, have about 10 of them with me at all times.

Little Cleos are what I usually use but moonshine makes a couple superglow spoons that I use at night and have worked as well.

Go light....91/2 steelhead rods work great...6 to 10 pound monofilament line no heavier. Mepps spinners and cleos are probably the best lures although plugs and rapalas produce salmon as well. Believe it or not I take about 90 percent of my river caught salmon on spawn bags on a #14 treble hook fished 2 to three feet under a balsa float. I hope that helps there Boltman, next time you wander up to the UP let me know I will get you hooked up. If you scream louder than the drag I will get the net.

i use a 9ft med action rod 10 lb test for rivers and piers. For the rivers i agree with steeliebob on the spawn bags. In the mouth like down by the dow bridge in ludington thunderstick junior shallow divers work great, also spawn on a three way swivel rig with just enough split to bounce bottom like steelie fishing. for the piers at night i like the new moonshine casting spoons, ko wobblers, and glow little cleos. a plug my dad used to use and i still have a couple and not sure where to find them any more is pingatees (not sure of the spelling), those things devastate fish.

also you can use this same set up in early spring casting litttle cleos (gold and orange) for browns in pentwater and ludington (i am not giving my brown spot away in ludington). Usually i rig two rods when fishing browns from piers one with spawn(skein works great) and the other with a casting spoon.

Another thing you can do with the same rod is early early spring surf cast with spawn bags for browns and steelies. i know a few steelheaders that surf fish grand haven. We usually go up to platt bay for that.

Sorry i got off just kings but wanted to show a couple other things you can do with the same rig.

I don't really target kings in the river but do fish steelies. I usually use inline spinners. I make them myself because I lose a lot of them. I use 8 lb mono after many years of trial and error. I like to go during the week as the rivers are a lot less crowded.

I don't really target kings in the river but do fish steelies. I usually use inline spinners. I make them myself because I lose a lot of them. I use 8 lb mono after many years of trial and error. I like to go during the week as the rivers are a lot less crowded.

No wonder you lose alot of lures 8lb test. I use that for my perch:D:D

No wonder you lose alot of lures 8lb test. I use that for my perch:D:D

I've learned it's easier to lose the spinner than to screw around with trying to get them out of snags. They come out to about $1 each if I make them myself. Plus, it's a lot more fun to catch them on 8 lb line. Lots of trial and error involved in getting to 8 lb.