Imposters

I was just wondering what one mite do if they found out that there is some one out there on the radio pretending to be you.

The reason that I ask is becouse a few freinds have been telling me that there is some one saying that they are me, well last nite I was out for a boat ride and heard on the radio that some on was calling for tangeld mess, and I new that his boat was in the slip all covered up.

WELL the reason that this upsets me so much is that this person is giveing very WRONG INFO , last evening there was a storm coming in fast and the imposter in formed a boat nearby that they had well over 1 hr to get in at that point the uscg was at the end of the Holland chanle getting every one off the lake.

I will not reveal the name of the call boat but if you are members of this site PLEASE STOP.:)

I was just wondering what one might do if they found out that there is some one out there on the radio pretending to be you. The reason that I ask is because a few friends have been telling me that there is some one saying that they are me, well last night I was out for a boat ride and heard on the radio that some one was calling for tangled mess, and I knew that his boat was in the slip all covered up. WELL the reason that this upsets me so much is that this person is giving very WRONG INFO , last evening there was a storm coming in fast and the impostor in formed a boat nearby that they had well over 1 hr to get in at that point the uscg was at the end of the Holland channel getting every one off the lake. I will not reveal the name of the call boat but if you are members of this site PLEASE STOP.:)

Most everyone has a distinct voice or pattern of speech. You and your friends should call this guy out over the radio so all boats in the area know what is going on. In other words blackball the boat so no one talks to the guy.

If he persists, then the next time you catch him in the act, immediately call the coast guard and report him. Impersonating another radio operator is a serious offense under federal marine radio laws.

Impersonation of another individual is against the law in all aspects of life. :mad:

Come on DOG, take a bite out of this criminal! :thumb:

:nono: NOT COOL!

Hopefully no one was hurt in anyway. Giving bad information about your favorite fishing hole is almost understandable, but bad info on a storm coming is ignorant. Person should be keelhauled. :thwak:

Terry ,that sucks! There is another tangled mess out there tho ,i heard him this morning and saw him at the launch, I was wondering the same thing until i saw his boat,as for the imposter i have not heard him but if i do i will call him out thats for sure! Jimbobber

Every radio has a signature. All DSC radios if activated with a MMSI number transmit coded info with every transmission. However you would need a very high quality recording to be able to have it verified. I would have to check but I am not even sure if it would be passed thru the FM discriminator to the audio output. The other issue is there is no ownership of Marine Radio Names even though you can Document your vessel with a name it does not mean someone else cannot use that name it only means they have to spell it differant or something to document the vessel. Sadly much of this is like CB radio where untill something very bad happens nothing will be done about it. If he chooses to call himself Tangled Mess he can to make it a crime you would have to prove he had intent to cause harm and not just bad info to pass along.

Back in the day I knew a guy with an RDF(Radio Directional Finder). Not sure how it works for sure but I remember using it in a heavy fog to determine location. I think the coast guard uses these or use to. Boat names are often duplicated and that sucks but to give bad info on a severe storm is murder.

RDF is a directional antenna with a signal meter and a position marked control you adjust it for maximum signal and mark the bearing. The old Loran system used this each station had a signal that was used by that station only so the more stations you could here the more bearings you took draw all those bearings on a map and where they crossed is where you were at. Several radio clubs do what the call fox hunting they hide a low power radio and tell you what freq and signal it is using and you use directional antennas to locate it. Trying to find a moving signal that comes and goes is next to impossible on the other hand if you have the right radio setup and he has his MMSI programed into his you could track him on your plotter if he accepted a position request.