Center console opinions

Hi guys,

I was wondering what people thought about running center console's on the great lakes? I know they're not the first choice for people exclusively fishing the big water, but I am considering one for primary use on inland waterways. That being said, I want a boat capable of handling an occasional trip to Lake Michigan, and am looking at a 19 foot Trophy with a 150 Merc 2-stroke.

I would appreciate any opinions you might have, thanks in advance.

I run a 19 ft Proline CC with a T-Top. It runs well in the big lake without issue. You do have to watch the weather and be smart about it. As far as fishing inland, I haven't done any with my boat, but I have seen them in our bayou dunking a bait or two. Hope it helps.

a friend of mine has a contender center console and its a charter boat on lake mi. so i dont think it matters al that much. but like bob said with a 19 footer you do need to pick and choose your days on the big pond.

Great boats, will handle the water fine. Only issue is deck space. There just isnt much with the counsil sitting back so far. Its feisable though. Ive fished off a few friends center counsils for both salmon and walleye.

Man, would I love to be looking at a 36 Contender or Yellowfin! Unfortunately that is just not in the cards, but you make a great point: The business end of any fishing boat is the dance floor, which is pretty small on a CC. The other issue I wonder about is taking a wave over the bow.

Man, would I love to be looking at a 36 Contender or Yellowfin! Unfortunately that is just not in the cards, but you make a great point: The business end of any fishing boat is the dance floor, which is pretty small on a CC. The other issue I wonder about is taking a wave over the bow.

I have never seen a CC that was not self bailing so taking one over the bow is not as bad as you might think. Stuffing the bow is a differant story but as long as you have everything closed water on the deck is not a issue.

I run a mako in that size and love it, the early spring wave splashes ARE cold, still haven't figured out an enclosure off a bimini top or t-top to run to stop that, but the rest of the year I love all the space it gives you from a similar sized boat with dual consoles. Very easy to be fighting a fish and head to the bow to get the net in the back. We run the max HP on ours which is a 150 optimax. GREAT on fuel compared to the bigger boats when money is tight.

Steve, I was working with a dealer up in Two Rivers that had a canvas guy and claimed he could do alot with enclosures. If you want to pursue it let me know and I'll try to find out the guy's name.

I have fished on a cauple of boston walers and both ran the waves nice but they have very limited seating and in windy cold weather you cannot stay dry so it can be uncomfortable but they did both fish well and had plenty of room in the back.

Steve, I was working with a dealer up in Two Rivers that had a canvas guy and claimed he could do alot with enclosures. If you want to pursue it let me know and I'll try to find out the guy's name.

Well I have found local places to get something done up, but didn't realize it would be over a thousand without making a complicated enclosure. For now I'm still debating keeping our bimini top or buying the $2k t-top and then tossing another $1k onto that to get some sort of clear enclosure. :eek:

Sure adds up quickly.

We fish out of a 17.5' grady white CC. I don't think you should be worried to much about handling the seas. Most of the CC's are as seaworthy as anything in their class. The one convenience as mentioned above is being able to walk a fish forward. That being said if you have enough dance floor that isn't an issue. Another advantage is you are always close to the helm I go out solo sometimes and can fight a fish and drive easily and still be close to the side to net.

Problems:

1. can't get out of the weather so invest in some dry bags and good rain gear and gloves.

2. Little freeboard so you have to be very very careful.

3.Very little room at the stern. You need to have fishing partners that work well together.

4. Space in general: Storage, electronics, mounting downriggers.

I love our boat but if I could trade it for a windsheild and cover with more space in the back I would in a heartbeat.

THat being said fishing in one is like keeping a secret the fewer people in on it the better. Two adults is ideal Three is o.K. You can do four but one has to sit up front and rotate back to fish. Two adults and two kids preteen or earlier is all right as well. Hope this helps.