Paw Paw River 5/21 71 for 200!

Well we had an awesome day on the river today. Here's a pic of the catch:thumb:

salmonoids_005.jpg

I know that pic is not really clear but on a more serious note....my mom is a biology teacher and each year she does a program with the DNR called salmon in the classroom. She has a license and each year she receives 200 salmon eggs from them. We have a huge tank set up in the classroom with pumps that run water to simulate a river current. Amongst many other things the tank is set up with a chiller that keeps the water at 50 degrees until a few weeks before we release them we warm it up a little bit to acclimate them to the river.

We had planned on releasing them early next week but the schools power died so they would have died pretty soon if we did not release him. Last year a janitor accidentally hit the power button on the chiller over the weekend and we came to school to find a green tank full of dead salmon.:mad: Not cool.

Anyways I love being a part of it all and helping clean the tank even though you loose feeling in your arm. Being able to see the salmon go through the cycles is really neat. They have stripes for awhile but they are just now starting to loose them (a sign its time to release them). They are about 3-4 inches right now and ill tell you what there is one hog in the group!

I think its a fun project and a nice way to give back. The survival rate of raising them this way is much better than what it would be in mother nature

Here's a pic of my dad releasing them into the Paw Paw River. I will put some more pics up soon of them in the tank, when I get them. Four more years and I just might catch one of these bad boys. Doubtful but you never know!

salmonoids_035.jpg