Trolling Tips

GLF

Trolling a straight line between two points is the least successful path you can take, once fish have been located in an area. By trolling in a zig-zag patter or in "S" curves, you will impart regular changes in depth and speed to a trolled plug, creating the impression of a wounded, or in trouble baitfish which fish will view as an easy meal.

Troll slowly. Big fish will not expend any more energy than necessary to catch a meal. Also, most lures will not perform correctly at fast speeds. the best advice is to troll slowly. The slower the better.

Vary your speed. While slow is the password, this does not mean slow all of the time. A lure running through the water at a constant speed, at a constant depth and giving off the same vibration pattern will not catch many fish. There's just nothing there to indicate an easy meal is available or that something is in trouble. Slowly, yes but adjust your speed every few minutes to chane the lures's speed and vibration patter.

• 2 weeks later...

No one piped up on this, so I will add to it How many times have you completed your turn and the rods started poping? What happend that caused the action?

There was a change in the lures speed/direction. The inside lures slow's down and flutter's, and the outside lures speed up as if trying to get away. When the boat straightens back out this causes the inside lures to take off again. This appear's to the predator that the lure(prey) was a wounded baitfish or one trying to get away. This caused a reaction strike.

Do not try and run a zig zag course in a pack of boats.

I’ll jump on it!

Troll slowly. Big fish will not expend any more energy than necessary to catch a meal. Also, most lures will not perform correctly at fast speeds. the best advice is to troll slowly. The slower the better.

While this may be true for most warm water species it may not be true for cold water species. I will agree that you need to very your speeds now and then and troll in a spur attic pattern but for speed the average is around 2.5mph depending on what you are pulling. With flashers and plugs most will spin out at 2.5-2.7mph. Last year some of my best days where running 2.9-3.4mph, running all spoons in a 20 ft spread in the water column, staggered ever 3-4ft.

Just remember "You can't out run a Salmon.":eek:

Steve

I think every day is different. Every hour as a matter of fact. Last year, a straight troll seemed best once I figured what direction the fish wanted it from. One of the nicest catches that came in during the St. Joe tourney was from a boat that just picked a straight troll NNE for 1/2 the time, then SSW for the rest of the day. They did this two days in a row.

However,......in 2004 most of my hot bites were "on the turns". And strangley enough it usually occured on the inside cores. On more than one occassion, it was working so well that I would over react and snag the bottom by letting the lines drop too far. This year I would drop into neutral more rather than turning.

Steve, is your speed GPS? Or Sub Troll? Inquiring minds want to know.:rolleyes:

I personally believe the direction of troll is the most important "aspect" in continously catching fish. Once we find a troll in the morning we usually stay on it until we absolutely do not get anymore bites. Then we turn around and go the complete opposite direction we just trolled. Some days we may be on the same troll the entire duration of the trip or until we have limited out. For example, if we are on a SW troll we will turn around and go on a NE troll. Or if a North troll is great we will troll all the way to Muskegon or however far is necessary and then just run back to Grand Haven. Our goal is to get the Divers rods and Planer Boards perfectly lined up in your troll and into the current. This is the easiest and simplest way to do it without having to use a Fish Hawk, etc. We like to go directly into the current and then directly with the current (complete opposite direction).

• 5 weeks later...

This is where the Caznik beer bottle heading really will be useful!

The beer bottle that will lead me out there to begin with will stay on the floor and whatever way it points is where I'm going to go......

I suspect it will constantly change directions so should be a great year of phishing!

:)