Spring spreads 2010

mattmishler

I know that it might help some but its not the real thing. What everyones first spread there going to put in the water for 2010. I know that mine has been going threw sence oh late november. I wanna know what port, where u think the fish might be, what rod what bait ect.

Sence im not a sorthen port fishermen and the brown in ludvill havent done much in the last 5-7 years i wont start fishing untill may 25 or so dependin on the weather.

For the shake down trip i think i will be running 10 color with DW ss, 7 color with reg ms, 5 color with a mag DW, 3 color with somthing orange, wire diver with blue bubble 8inch spin doc with matching fly, slide diver will have 6 inch green spin doc with seaweed fly trimmed down to smaller size. PS rigger DW SS, SS rigger mag MS. I prob will be fishing the shelf 59-04 in 30s-31.5 or so.

It was kinda fun all ready planning out the first trip of the year and it almost half way threw feburary.

I'll be fishing out of Marquette on Lake Superior. First trip of the year will be fishing the Upper Harbor breakwall, from 25-70 fow......and I cant wait! :)

-2 Riggers with long leads and 10-12 lb. test. Standard Moonshine Wonderbread on 1 side and Mag Greasy Chicken Wing on the other.

-2 Slidedivers about 30-50 feet out on a 6 setting. 2- #3 J-Plugs(yes, j-plugs) set back behind the divers about 40 feet. 1 Wonderbread plug and 1 Silver bullet. I LOVE J-Plugs and catch fish on them all year long.

-4 Leadcore lines on the big boards. 2,3,4, and a 5 color. ALL with MAULERS! 2 with orange and blue, and 2 more in all Gold.

-2 10lb. flatlines on the outside. 1 Blue/Silver Bomber Long-A and 1 Reef Runner in Cheap Sunglasses color.

-3-4 Good Friends

-4-5 Layers of clothes

-and FRED BEAR playin on the radio!

Dam I cant wait for spring! :)

I will be out the first week in april, out of st.joe and my spread will be

6 hi line with 3 size 8 x-raps ,3 brads thin fish a pair of 2 colors with silver streak minis

also 2 mono divers with 00 dodgers in org or red and green or blue penut flys

and lastly 2 riggers set at 3 and 7 ft with reg, sized stingers on short leads

This is my starting lineup and can be alterd at any time.

The target depth will be 15 TO 30 FOW. south to the power plant.

COME ON SPRING IM READY!

John

You got me turned on to that bomber long-A in the Mqt tournament....didn't work for me that day! But ever since then the 7 color down the chute with a blue and silver has worked pretty well for me out in the bay. We even picked a few up down in fairport with them last year.

usually make it out last week of March first week of april out of st.Joe and the spread I run will be 6 high lines. 1#j11 and 1 #j13 orange rapala. next inline will be 2 red tiger brads thin fins. inside that will be orange and gold tadpollys. next I run 4 riggers. inside two I will start with spoons and will also run tadpollys, hot n tots and wiggle warts 6 to 8' behind the usually 5 to 8 feet off of the bottom depending how shallow I am. I like to run my inside boards in the first trough off the shoreline. On my outside riggers I will run 00 red and orange dogers with penut flys about 18'' behind the doger and 5 to 6' behind the ball. Your usally targeting coho this time of year and riggers can be hot and coho love the sound of the engine. If you hit a school I have had every rigger go off at once. We call that a chinese fire drill. I also like to run two high lines straight down the schute no further back then 40' with thunder sticks. this has produced some big browns over the years.

I will probably be right behind Terry and Joe so my spread will look a lot like theres. I also like a Bare Naked Reef Runner, a J11 Perch Rapala, and a silver Rattl-Trap run on a spinning rod right in the prop wash. Coho can't resist the prop wash for some reason and they are a blast to fight on a spinning rod.

I don't get out that often in the spring, but that may change this year (no spring sports with the kids:D).

The one time I used a body bait for Salmon, it got the hooks straitened out. Do you all change the hooks, or was it a fluke for me?

They don't carry the Thin Fins in the chain stores but I think you can get them from Lake Michigan Angler. They can be killer some days. Ken, I haven't had any hooks straightened out in the spring but I haven't gotten into anything huge, either. I do change out some of the cheaper hooks though.