GPS Chart Plotter Sonar. HELP

Priority1

NOAA Charts are available online @ no cost. NOAA has digital downloads that can be converted into data that will work on GPS chartplotters. I'm NOT a SUPER GEEK, so I'm stumbling around with this stuff. When I get it down I'll let you know. There are some decent NOAA charts. I'm sure some detail may be lost on a small screen. Check out the Nautical Charts Link on this site. This is legal for your own use.

Frank, have you thought about just buying one unit this year and then the other next year? That way you could at least spread out your costs. One thing that is nice about the other charts are the details like navigational buoys in Muskegon Lake and things like that. They can really come in handy if there is fog or you are running in the dark.

Nick, You and I think alike. I may just buy the GPS. But wait there's more. Good old eBay. Do a search on eBay for NOAA Software. It seems it is compatible with GPS's that can hook to computers. If those charts can be put on an SD card, I'll be all set. The mini SDs are inexpensive. The NOAA software can be had for under a X sawbuck ($10).

Frank I did check out another site, FISHLANDER, and they seemed to have a good amount of electronics, but don't really know if the prices were good. They seemed good on some of their stuff....do a search and check it out. I was looking to see if Fishlander was back in business and came to this website that sells a little bit of everything.

I picked up a Garmin 440c (i think that was the model, I know it was in the 400 series) last summer just before we headed north with the boat.

I picked this one becasue it did have the Maps built in. it also has a setting so you can have no detail to lots of detail.

I was surprised how much detail was shown. you could even get phone numbers for the marinas off this unit.

when zoomed in you could see the slip in Ludville.

and it keep our butts out of hot water when we went out of Hessel in the UP. Lots of rocks just under the surface that were marked on the map, plus one night we came in way after sunset and the GPS lead us right back to the dock & keep us off from the rocks. I would have never found the ramp otherwise.

I was very happy with the unit I bought.

There is no doubt that the chartplotters are a great tool when in unfamiliar waters. I got by with an older GPS, and NOAA chartsfor years. I don't have a problem paying for a new GPS chartplotter. I do have a problem paying for a, here a chip, there a chip, everywhere a chip chip. A lot of the info on these chips is gleaned from free NOAA charts. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a chip or a $700 chartplotter to cover a whole State. If their chips show more than NOAA they should have no trouble selling them. Bottom line; It should be mandatory that these Chartplotters be compatible with available NOAA data. Sorry about the RANT. JMHO

Any Super Geeks out there??? Grumpy old guys can't afford all this technology.:lol:

Agree or disagree let's HERE IT.

Frank,

the Garmin 440 I bought was around $450 at West Marine, another $80 for a new tranduser, and being electical / water nervous - added the 2yr extened wart. for another $50.

the only issue I had with it was trying to run both my older Lowarance fish finder that was mount right next to it.

but after playing with it for a couple hours we figure out how to change the Freq hz to another setting and they both worked fine. this way I could leave the gps on Map and still see fish - or lack of fish on the other.

I'll try to upload a photo that may show where I mounted them. I'm limited on dash space is another reason I picked this unit.

the only draw back with this model is the screen size it is small, but very clear and easy to read - even without my glasses.

jon

Edited by jonmarvin
added more comments

Frank I was checking out some FF/GPS combos by Raymarine @ Bethels. They ranged from 900 -1500. I bet you've looked at them, but I read about them and they seemed to be pretty reasonable, I don't have any feedback about them as I don't own one but I'm sure there are reviews out there. You've got plenty of time yet to find the one you're looking for.

Frank I was checking out some FF/GPS combos by Raymarine @ Bethels. They ranged from 900 -1500. I bet you've looked at them, but I read about them and they seemed to be pretty reasonable, I don't have any feedback about them as I don't own one but I'm sure there are reviews out there. You've got plenty of time yet to find the one you're looking for.

I'm probably going to end up with two stand alone Garmins. Possibly a 172C and a 340C. Those Raymarines are probably a lot better, but I will not have near that much tied up. I'm hoping I can get some software to upload some NOAA data to the GPS or one of the SD cards.

I know Frank that you are looking for two stand alone units, but I have a Humminbird 917c with the Hot Maps chip. So far so good I've not had any problems with it but it is a combo unit. On the GPS unit I would recommend an external antenna, if you have room. Good luck and buying electronics can be mind boggling for sure.

Tom

I know Frank that you are looking for two stand alone units, but I have a Humminbird 917c with the Hot Maps chip. So far so good I've not had any problems with it but it is a combo unit. On the GPS unit I would recommend an external antenna, if you have room. Good luck and buying electronics can be mind boggling for sure.

Tom

A big 10/4 on the external antenna. My ancient LMS 350 Lowrance has an external antenna, and it NEVER loses it's signal. The GPS receiver is mounted on top of my hardtop.

I have adequate space on my dash, especially if I remove the old combo unit. I can get two separate Color units for the same price as a combo, (Special offer to me). I'm still scratching my head, and other parts,:lol: trying to figure what will be best for me. Maybe I over think things, but $$$ are always an important part of the equation for me. My pension is the same as it was in 2000.

Jon nice boat. My dash seems to be a catch all.:)

thanks Frank,

I've had her for 14 year now, 2 years ago tried to sell to get out of boating, then last year I fished with Ryan just once, look what happened, she went from being the family camper to a fishing machine.

the gps I bought last season was my first.

I had the fish finder only for depth.

Has anyone researched or thought about using a Laptop as a GPS in their boat?? It seems this may have been hashed over before. My boat has a hardtop so it's dryer than most open boats. Below is what I figure would be the cost.

$350 Used 13 inch Rough Service Laptop. Wouldn't need a super horse of a laptop but the rough service would be essential.

$40 GPS receiver

$15 NOAA Charts on DVD

Pros: Big Screen, Lots of inexpensive, Software, Portable Boat to Car etc.

Cons: Will the Laptop hold up? Would need to fab bracket to hold it.

The software for the GPS units is what has my shorts in a knot. If some geek came up with a reasonably priced, tough unit that would run all available software, I'm sure it would sell. I think more competition is needed.

I may still go with the individual Garmins, But I'm sure I'm going to be trying the laptop, somewhere down the road.

These are what I'm now considering after weighing all the useful data in this thread.:)

Garmin 172C GPS Chart plotter.

Garmin 340C Sonar fishfinder.

I can get both of these for the same price as the combo. Any info on these stand alone units would be welcome. With two units I can set it a forget it, because I'm not always @ the helm. I'm working a deal though a friend of a friend. I put them both on a limit of walleye in 08.:D

Frank;

....The two units you have chosen are both listed as discontinued by Garmin.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=168

....I'm still shopping, but still leaning towards the bird! So many choices and so little cash!

....I'll keep the old Garmin as a backup unit. It came with the boat and has adequate mapping. Which by the way, is useless in the newer machines!!!! \\%&$#@%&$//

Has anyone researched or thought about using a Laptop as a GPS in their boat?? It seems this may have been hashed over before. My boat has a hardtop so it's dryer than most open boats. Below is what I figure would be the cost.

$350 Used 13 inch Rough Service Laptop. Wouldn't need a super horse of a laptop but the rough service would be essential.

$40 GPS receiver

$15 NOAA Charts on DVD

Pros: Big Screen, Lots of inexpensive, Software, Portable Boat to Car etc.

Cons: Will the Laptop hold up? Would need to fab bracket to hold it.

The software for the GPS units is what has my shorts in a knot. If some geek came up with a reasonably priced, tough unit that would run all available software, I'm sure it would sell. I think more competition is needed.

I may still go with the individual Garmins, But I'm sure I'm going to be trying the laptop, somewhere down the road.

Frank you're reading my mind. I am in the same position as far as hardtop goes and I have been over and over this in my head.

My problem is the fish finder part. I have only been able to find one company that makes a black box for a laptop and they are in the Nertherlands somewhere. The company is called Cruzpro . The only reason I don't try it is I have found almost no reviews on how well it actually works, and I don't want to gamble with $900.

It came with the boat and has adequate mapping. Which by the way, is useless in the newer machines!!!! \\%&$#@%&$//

A lot of PC software is the same way. You can use it on one machine only. In a few years all forms of transportation will have GPSs. Someone is going to come up with a way to geek around their Software. Technology is great, I don't have to be on the cutting edge. I'm basically a dinosaur, plopped into this new millennium. I didn't own a computer 10 years ago.:)

I knew the units I posted are out of date. The price is right on these new, old stock units.

Frank;

....Just because they are discontinued, doesn't mean they aren't worth buying.

....If you go with the Garmin, check the link below for this product.

....This may give you all the maps you will need.

....You would need to buy the map software and a programmable data card.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=254&pID=1114#overviewTab

Frank you're reading my mind. I am in the same position as far as hardtop goes and I have been over and over this in my head.

My problem is the fish finder part. I have only been able to find one company that makes a black box for a laptop and they are in the Nertherlands somewhere. The company is called Cruzpro . The only reason I don't try it is I have found almost no reviews on how well it actually works, and I don't want to gamble with $900.

But what about a stand alone Sonar??? Even a three or 4 year old color one. There are a lot of people that have to have the latest and greatest toys. I have no problem even picking up their few year old stuff. :)

A lot of PC software is the same way. You can use it on one machine only. In a few years all forms of transportation will have GPSs. Someone is going to come up with a way to geek around their Software. Technology is great, I don't have to be on the cutting edge. I'm basically a dinosaur, plopped into this new millennium. I didn't own a computer 10 years ago.:)

I knew the units I posted are out of date. The price is right on these new, old stock units.

BROTHER !!!

I didn't own a computer until 03. Small world!

Frank;

....Just because they are discontinued, doesn't mean they aren't worth buying.

....If you go with the Garmin, check the link below for this product.

....This may give you all the maps you will need.

....You would need to buy the map software and a programmable data card.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=254&pID=1114#overviewTab

Rich, The link is for Lake MI. I fish Lake Huron (primarily), and Lake Michigan.:) If you fish both sides and maybe some inland lakes, that's more chips. Garmin used to include a good Great Lakes program built in. Or you could get the inland lakes version. All this new stuff is NP for people with big bucks. All the manufacturers are in this same game. Sell the unit and a chip, then keep jabbing you every time you make a move.:) I looked at a Garmin Unit yesterday and their base map didn't even include navigation to some of the smaller ports. I feel their base map should be as good as the NOAA information available free. I know Garmin could care less, how I feel.:lol: The unit I looked at had a 5 inch screen and a $750 price tag. They have us by the short hairs.:lol: MO Money.