Autopilot

GLF

OK.....I watched the screaming divers video and am pumped to be fishing! Now, I have the itch to work on the boat to get it ready for spring.

Anyways.....If things work out for me, I am going to turn my current autopilot(my son Hunter) into a line setting machine, and purchase an autopilot. :thumb: My boat is a Sea Ray 270 Amberjack.

What do you have on your boat, and how do you like it?

Mike you only have a couple of options unless you plan on spending a bunch of money. You are stuck with same choices as me actually you might have room for the Simrad that I don't know because I did not measure your boat. The Simrad AP12R and AP14R are both discontinued models but still quite a few available. Both of these replace your current helm control under the console and require at least 10in of clearance behind the steering wheel for the new unit to fit in my boat that would mean cut a hole into the head and have it stick thru the wall above the toilet. The wife says well I can't repeat her response her this is a family channel but I am sure you understand. If you have room for it the Simrad may also require you to replace the steering cable depending on which cable yours uses. Simrads replacement for the AP 12 and 14R is the AP24 with a new servo drive which adds on to your current system. If I added it up correctly it comes to just under 4k plus install. Raymarine offers the X5 Sportpilot this is the easiest install remove your steering wheel install the motor drive box and reinstall the steering wheel mount the control box and compass and course computer hook up all the wires and you are pretty much done. If you go back roughly 3 years to when I first started hanging out here I bought one of these systems with my boat only problem is they never released it so after spending the entire summer hearing one excuse after another as to why my AP was not on my boat I got my money back and gave up on it. I have planned on converting the boat to HYD steering which opens a whole new world of options and systems however it also costs a bunch more so this has not happened either. So I am more humble this year and likely will buy the X5 if I have a tax return and can save a few pennies by fishing time. I will however upgrade to the ST70 control head as it gives you programable trolling patterns. I have not met very many who were unhappy with their AP and no matter which one you get my bet is you will love it. Even the worst unit on the market is still a Godsend when you are short handed on the boat.

Mike I have..... Maryanne, she's my Autopilot, but tells me this year she wants to set lines and bring in the fish...Well I cannot afford 6K for the autopilot that works on my boat, so I guess I'm doing the driven for awhile.... I don't mind...

Mike I have..... Maryanne, she's my Autopilot, but tells me this year she wants to set lines and bring in the fish...Well I cannot afford 6K for the autopilot that works on my boat, so I guess I'm doing the driven for awhile.... I don't mind...

Robert you if I remember have a 320 Sundancer which is Hyd steering who quoted you 6k for a autopilot? There are a bunch of units the will drive your boat for less than 1/2 of that. I would look at the Garmin GHP10 last quote I got was around 2700. and have had a few guys tellme they got theirs for less than that. WMJ Marine has the core pack for 1649 and the 2.1 pump for 999 which is pretty much all you need.

here is a a Raymarine system that should work on your boat

http://www.wmjmarine.com/stpack1.html

a Simrad setup

http://www.wmjmarine.com/stpack1.html

here is a Furuno system

http://www.wmjmarine.com/furunoau4.html

Mike, wasn't one of your problems with a helm mounted autopilot the fact that the power steering only worked off one engine? Have you figured out a way to run the power steering off both engines yet or aren't you worried about that anymore? Just asking because I thought that was a limiting factor if you wanted to install a helm mounted autopilot.

Mike, wasn't one of your problems with a helm mounted autopilot the fact that the power steering only worked off one engine? Have you figured out a way to run the power steering off both engines yet or aren't you worried about that anymore? Just asking because I thought that was a limiting factor if you wanted to install a helm mounted autopilot.

Still a factor, but with my new project I am willing to troll on the engine that has power steering.

I see consumers marine has the ap12 and ap14 still.

They area bit pricey, but remember, you get what you pay for! I have the Furuno Nav-Pilot 511. Its set up on a 27' Tiara Open with twin inboards and a Hynautic steering system. Absolutly awsome unit with all the bells and whistles, and the best part....its a Furuno.

I did 2 years worth of research and I ended up going with the Nav-Pilot over the other units. $2700 out the door with everything you need as well as the new high power Furuno steering pump, integrated gyro compass, rudder indicator, ect..

I would at least give them a look if thats in your price range!

Jim, Because my Boat has twin Outdrives, I called my dealership, they looked up my boat and it has to have some sort of special steering put on it, becuase it's not inboards. I'm still going to look into this, I would really like to fish with MY WIFE... he'll she like doing it so why not do it with her.....you know......I should have gotten it Factory installed....

Honestly Robert I don't know what system they priced for you but regardless of number of engines with Hyd steering the only issue is getting the right size pump to match the steering cylinder. Someone had their profit margin set on kill rather than stun also most AP that have been out a while have actually came down a little. However I can get the Garmin system installed and my boat converted to Hyd Steering for less than they quoted you for the AP. Personally the Garmin is the way to go it is a very nice system for what we do. Give these guys a call http://www.marinerscentre.com/ They are here in Muskegon and where I will buy mine from when I get the money as even if I have to pay a little extra I will buy it locally.

Mike GLF I did a bit more research on your boat and the few I found all said they did not have room for the Simrad on a 270 Amberjack. When you come up tommorrow I will come over and we can do some measureing. If I had a choice between the Simrad AP14R and the Raymarine I would choose the Simrad. However a few guys on other sites are using the X5 Sportpilot on boats like yours. I have not heard anyone say it won't steer on the none power steering engine just that it responds faster with the power steering.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been looking at autopilots also Mike, our boats steering system hydrolic, We are leaning towards one of these 2, the Raymarine X-10 corepk and the ST70 control head or the Garmin GHP 10. If we where building from scratch the Garmin would get the nod hands down, We like their system. The reason we are looking at the X-10 Core pk is because we can us the Type 1 pump we have installed on the boat already, that alone is a $700 plus savings. If the GHP 10 will work with your sterring system I'd give it a real close look .. John