Pictures in The Cold

GLF

I leave my camera in a good case all the time.

I haven't had any problems when going out.

When I come back in, I leave the camera in the case for an hour or so to warm gradually. Then I remove, inspect and clean it before I put it away.

I use rechargeable batteries and I make sure to remove them for charging. I also keep a supply of regular batteries on hand in the camera case for those times when these others are not fully recharged.

The problem with reusable batteries is that they start to loose their charge as soon as you remove them from the charger.

I have a olympus stylus tough 6000. I have had no problems with it yet. I do not do anything special but it is waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof. I had 2 other cameras and condesation got the best of them from ice fishing I learned the hard way. I have heard another person on this site say used handwarmers on them when they were in the cold. I think it was one of the guys that fish the bay

Those of us who wear glasses know that going out into the cold, everything is fine. It's when we come in from the cold that our glasses fog up. So too will your camera lens if you don't give it time to adjust to the temperature change.

My Pentax Spotmatic F has a leather case which has no insulation and worked just fine when I was in Sault St. Marie Ontario. I find the film cameras were tougher and would take more abuse without serious issue.

Now I like you am in the process of going digital. So far I use a point and shoot model and am about to step up to SLR.

The case I use presently has about half an inch or so of insulation and find it sufficient. I just want the camera to come up in temp gradually.

Edited by Rayman96
spelling

I have a heavily padded camera case and i put a couple of those chemical heat packs in there to keep it warm. Works very well for me on all my ice fishing adventures. And, anyone that knows me, knows i take allot of pics and vids out on the ice. Plus, i always keep a spare set of batteries just incase. I tried rechargables, but didnt have much luck with them. I like the lithium batteries. They last a LONG time. One of the few things that i think are of real value for the money. Good luck to you Mike.

Would you recommend an insulated camera case?

Any padded case will work as insulation, but if the object your carrying doesn't produce heat, than there's nothing to insulate.

Like said above, bring the camera in and let it acclimate to the temp.

• 5 weeks later...