Cuddeback Trail Cam

GLF

I have a Cuddeback Trail Cam that I have had for around 3 years. I never really paid attention to how many batteries it went through until this year. It seems to be going through a set(4 D cells) of batteries every 2 weeks. :( My wife picked up a package of 8 D cell batteries from Walmart for me yesterday. The price for the batteries was $11.00. :eek:

I have used rechargeable batteries and they dont near as long as a regular battery, which is why I use the regular batteries.

I think my Cuddeback may end up on ebay.

I switched to a Moultire the first of October and after close to a month of use I am at 86% battery life left. It takes 6 D's and thats averaging about 30 pics a week. Had it set to take video for 5 days also.

I do like the fact the battery use is low but overall I am not impressed with the infrared flash. Judging by the pics it seems to me that it spook's more deer than the regular flash did. At night the infrared lights glow red and really stand out.

Some of the newer cams supposedly use less power than the older ones. I know one thing the price on them has come down quite a bit. A few years ago you couldn't touch a decent digital trail cam for less than 300 dollars. Now I see several in the 100 dollar range.

I want one of them ones that sends pics straight to your cell phone or e-mail :)

Isn't it funny, when I was a kid we used to dream of stuff like this.

Whats the voltage on those D Cells Mike? Theyre just run in series to get up to a certain amount of volts to run the unit. If it adds up to 6 or 12 volts there must be a way to wire it up so you can use one of those small gell batteries that are used on items like a mojo duck or a vexilar flasher? Rechargable and still a relatively small package that could set at the base of the tree, post etc. Just an idea.

Whats the voltage on those D Cells Mike? Theyre just run in series to get up to a certain amount of volts to run the unit. If it adds up to 6 or 12 volts there must be a way to wire it up so you can use one of those small gell batteries that are used on items like a mojo duck or a vexilar flasher? Rechargable and still a relatively small package that could set at the base of the tree, post etc. Just an idea.

Adds up to 6volts. It could be converted very easily by drilling a hole and adding some wires.

I have another idea cooked up, but dont have the $$$ to spend on it, to put it together. It is untested, and would cost a lot of money. If it didn't work, welll you know......

I will leave it as another one of my ideas I "might" get to someday. :D

How many pics is that equating to for ya Mike? I asked Scott, Fishing Machine II how many he gets as he runs the older Cuddybacks and this was his response. Somewhat of a gauge for you....Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

I can get around 700-900 pics with one set of batteries with the older cuddeback if its not too cold and i'm not sure how many I can get out of the new Cuddeback IR as I only had around 200 pics in a weeks time and I still had 3 out of 4 on the battery life in it!! They both take great pics compared to alot of other trail cams out there.

How many pics is that equating to for ya Mike? I asked Scott, Fishing Machine II how many he gets as he runs the older Cuddybacks and this was his response. Somewhat of a gauge for you....Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

I can get around 700-900 pics with one set of batteries with the older cuddeback if its not too cold and i'm not sure how many I can get out of the new Cuddeback IR as I only had around 200 pics in a weeks time and I still had 3 out of 4 on the battery life in it!! They both take great pics compared to alot of other trail cams out there.

In the 2-3 weeks of battery life on mine, it is only taking around 10-15 pictures.

I may have to call them and ask them about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike I have a moultrie game spy. it works great. They are cheap around $89-99. THe quality is good they are reliable. Downfalls no IR, a little slow on the trigger but I've been very happy with them. I have two. Plus you can get two of them for the price of many others. I'll try to post some pics