traverse city, mi area need help

Looking to fish the grand traverse bay area at the end of next week, hoping to get any ideas on setup and/or FOW to fish. I didn't know if up there the fish are in the 20-30 fow area like they are at the southern end of lake michigan in the indiana areas I normally fish. Should I plan on running our typical early spring setups of shallow dipseys and planers with small crankbaits/spoons that we'd do in april or are the fish still out deep? Would be launching into the grand traverse bay I'm assuming.

thanks, guess I'll report back after next week when I head out that way. None of the local bait shops have anything to add either about fishing this late in the season, guess you guys don't run it year round like we do on the southern end of the lake. We fish until the harbors freeze up and then at first thaw we're back out there chasing cohos near shore.

try the mouth of the elk river,there is a launch right there.i have never fished in the boat there but know the brown and steelhead are around.i would lean more towards crank baits and sticks.if you dont mind a little drive frankfort and manistee are great this time of year.we have been getting limits of steelhead the last few weeks shot me a pm for more specifics on manistee or frankfort.we will be fishing there on sun.welcome aboard

Seems i missed this post with all my hunting expeditions lately. Welcome to the site Steve. Wish i had some good intel to offer for the area up there, but ive never fished TC, but id go with a spring type set up as well. Good luck to you, hope you tear em up!

Thanks for the welcomes guys. I'll look around online for that elk river launch and also frankfort and manistee info would be great as well. We're heading out of indiana tomorrow for some lakers and perch, hoping to get our perch limits early and then chase some steelies/browns/lakers around with our shallow winter/spring setups.

well got our 3 man perch limit in under 2 hours, non stop action, nothing under 10" kept so the south end of the lake was on fire. No salmon caught while trolling for them for 2 hours before heading home. Heard the whitefish was in the grand traverse bay, looked on google, they appear to be a salmon type fish with a smaller mouth? How would I fish for them?

White fish are fished mostly from the piers with long slender rods small teardrops with wax worms. They have small soft mouths, and are excellent table fare. GL Like always, if you know someone that fishes them, the learning curve can be reduced.:) Oh a lot of the fisherman use slip bobbers when conditions are right.

GJ on the perch.:)

In northwestern part of lake Michigan and lake superior they are fished with a slip sinker, barrel swivel, 12" #4 fluorocarbon leader, #8 hook with a c-cured salmon egg from a noodle rod works the best....mainly from an ice shack or if you can get the boat still enough. The swedish pimple works well otherwise. Best of luck, they are very light on the bite....far from an aggressive fish!!