Shrinkwrapping my boat

trucktramp

I finally broke down and picked up that Starcraft Islander that I've been dreaming about and I have to figure out what to do about storing it. The guy I bought it from said that he just had it wrapped and stored it in his driveway. Anyone use shrinkwrap? How well does it work? I have a hard time paying the prices that the local inside storage places want so, I thought I'd try wrapping it. However, I am not totally sold on wrap though. Any advice is appreciated.

If it is going to be stored outside I would have it done. I had mine done for the first time 2 years ago and wish I would have done it the first winter I had my boat. Most snow will not stick and what does can be brushed off with ease.

Keep in mind if you shrink wrap it you should put in the dissicant bags to controll moisture. I was going to shrink wrap mine last year but found I could store it indoors for about 50 bucks more than the cost of having it wrapped with the dissicant bags. Also as it was indoors I could work on it pretty much any time I wanted to all winter and not freeze my butt off doing it. Mine will be back indoors in a few weeks one more fishing trip and then fall clean up and get it winterized.

Where do you get the dessicant bags? Is this something that the shrinkwrap guy has or do I have to go looking elsewhere?

Pics are on the way. I have to get the time to take the pics. She is an old boat (1975), but the motor sounds healthy and the floors are solid. Plus the guy threw in down riggers, rods, reels, basicly everything to get back into big lake fishing. Now it will seem like forever until spring.

I have been shrink wrapping my boat and my son's for a couple of years. Never have used a dessicant bag and have seen no problems although I do install a couple of vents to keep the air moving a bit. I also open up all the inside hatches and get all the gear out. I have an on board charger that I leave the pigtail hanging over the edge and once a month I plug it in to keep the batteries up. I need the garage space for woodworking in the winter so wrapping the boat works well for me. I do miss being able to do a bit of maintenance in the winter tho. A heated inside storage would be ideal as mentioned so you could tinker during the winter, but sometimes that gets a bit pricey and the location would be critical also I would think.

Duane