Cleaned spoons?

Hotdog71

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone that posts on this website. You all have great ideas and are always willing to give a tip or two to us less experienced fisherman. Well, today, I'm in a need of some of those suggestions. I have had a great catch this year, but I have lost a bunch of spoons to fish cleaning off my spoons. Anyone else have this issue? I'm not complaining about the fish :D , just the paint :( . A lot of my spoons had to be decommissioned. I have lost 60-99% of the paint off some of my favorite spoons this year. It doesn't seem to matter which brand either. Do any of the spoon companies repaint their spoons if you send them back to them? Does anyone paint or repaint their spoons and what works the best? Is it cost effective to repaint or just re-buy? Is there anything that can be done to save the paint by applying it before running the spoon? i.e. sealer, lacquer, glue...

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

I have to agree with Adam color is the least concern if the fish are hitting it odds are something is triggering them to hit it and color attracts but don't cause a bite trigger. action and speed cause them to attack the lure so any spoon getting hit continues to go back down no matter what it looks like. I have often bought spoons in multiples and then find only one or 2 work really well the rest are duds and sometimes the differance is unnoticable to me but apparently not to the fish.

I 3rd that. Mike - I have a slew of spoons that stinger can repaint, the only real dilema would be if they were repainted will they catch as many fish as they do with only bits of paint here and there?????????? That's a great tip for the repaint, lot cheaper than buying new spoons.

Color does matter at times. You can touch them up, or repaint them yourself. The fish don't seem to care if the paint job is perfect, but fishermen do.:)

I knew one guy, that would only buy the beat up spoons at garage sales. I knew another guy, that would sell him spoons that were purposely roughed up.:D Find out what they want and give em lots of it.

My wife and I have re-painted our spoons before. I can't remember the type of paint we used, but we got it from the craft store (water based for picture painting). After the paint dried, a THIN coat of clear laquer was applied. It seems to hold up to the fish. It's a fun project in the off-season, and you can get creative with your patterns:)

I definitely agree with Jims second point as well. I have multiples of most spoons, (Its like a fishermans code IMO), but anyhow, there are definitely those that produce fish and others that just like to be washed. My buddy Jay and i have had that discussion more than once. I think theres allot to be said about action, size as well as color. But, no matter what it looks like, if its getting thrashed, then it keeps going out. I say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. I had multiples of many of my spoons and the ones I put down to replace the old ones were getting whacked too. I had one DW green dolphin SS that took fish all year off my downrigger but no where else. It now has paint, about the size of a dime, only at the top of the spoon. When I lost the paint, the plug went dead. Also had a Stinger green dolphin only has 3 dimples with paint and the same thing happened. I thought if I repainted them it might bring back the magic.

Mike, I might be interested in the Stinger repaint for a few can you send me some info on that?

Thanks Guys, keep the ideas coming.

Bob