Buying Rental Unit

Any body know the law concerning how long of a notice we have to give the upstarirs renter to remove his junk? We are suppose to sign papers next week and the people that rent the upstairs apartment have 3 junk snowmobiles, 1 boat that don't run and 1 that dose, a snow mobile trailer that hasn't moved in 3 months and a pickup box liner setting in the yard that we want gone. Not to mention he has the garage locked up witch he will no longer have use of. Just want to make sure we do everything on the up and up.

Good luck with the rentals. My sister-in-law had 10 units at one time. These were brand new duplexes they had built. One month, 9 out of 10 did not pay on time. When they had to evict people, the places always ended up trashed. They ended up selling all of them because of the hassles.

Steve,

The house that I live in now "The Lodge" was a rental when I bought the place and once you sign the paper work to buy the place any contracts with the previous owner are no longer valid and the occupant of that dwelling must leave at signing. Now if you are looking to keep these tenants they must sign a new agreement with you and then you can make clear what they need to do to stay.

Steve,

The house that I live in now "The Lodge" was a rental when I bought the place and once you sign the paper work to buy the place any contracts with the previous owner are no longer valid and the occupant of that dwelling must leave at signing. Now if you are looking to keep these tenants they must sign a new agreement with you and then you can make clear what they need to do to stay.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

There is no contract with anybody right now. We are willing to rent the apartment to them but some things will have to change. Part of the problem is they don't know we are buying it so they have no clue what is going on. It should get interesting next week. The main floor is about 1200 sq/f and we are going to live in it and keep the apartment rented to make the house payment and make inprovements. I guess if there are to many problems we can open up the stair way and make it part of the house, give me a place to get away from the wife.:D

I guess if there are to many problems we can open up the stair way and make it part of the house, give me a place to get away from the wife.:D

Have you told Char about this little plan Steve?? She may have the same idea, while you work on the boat and truck :D :D :D:eek:

Have you told Char about this little plan Steve?? She may have the same idea, while you work on the boat and truck :D :D :D:eek:

Hay Wayne after your phone conversation with her the other day I thinks she may have a few plans for you and your ideas too. I won't post here what she said, don't want to get myself banned.:D :D :D :D Let's just say she wasn't real impressed with paying for a trip to New York.

Hay Wayne after your phone conversation with her the other day I thinks she may have a few plans for you and your ideas too. I won't post here what she said, don't want to get myself banned.:D :D :D :D Let's just say she wasn't real impressed with paying for a trip to New York.

WOW, I figured she would be looking for a way to get rid of you for days at a time. As it ended I reserved a 2 bdrm cabin for the 8 days.... to bad your "retired" and can't make the trip :D . Companies paying for all but the 1st night and the last 2 nights.

And knowing Char, She probably said those things to YOU, after all, I'm just trying to help...:eek::D :D