Kings take a Jet. 9-12-09

Wulp, after sending that picture of the new world record Brown to one of my old Steelhead and Salmon river charter clients, he begged me to take him and a friend on the river today. I actually was not anxious to do so, as the reports for the last week have been pretty dismal. No rain in 2 weeks means low water. Warm weather with highs reaching 80 degrees this last 10 days in a row means warm water.

Both of these bad conditions has kept the main body of the fall run still staging in PM Lake at this historically late date. The fish that have been taken recently have been taken on fresh spawn bobber fished through the holes. I did save the huge skein of spawn I got from the King I took 2 weeks ago, and with no promises made I met my old buddy at the launch on the PM at 6:30am this morning.

Another thing I didn't figure on was that being it was Saturday, the launch was backed up like a baby that ate a brick of cheese. I watched as 9 boats launched in front of us and headed downstream, where we were going to go as well. Well after we launch, I'm surprised to find one of my favorite holes (near the launch) not occupied. So we pull in and anchor. We start seeing a few fish moving through, but nothing will bite either the Cranks, or the bobber fished spawn we're throwing.

"Let's put it right in their faces" I suggest. I had rigged 2 rods up like I used to years ago on the Big Manistee with #10 Jet Divers. Tied in 30 inch 15# test Fluorocarbon leaders with #6 Ultra Point mustad trebels. Tied egg loop knots just above each one to hold the Golf Ball size clusters of fresh/raw spawn on the hooks. Let the Jet back 30 feet into the hole and put them in the rods holders as we continued to cast cranks. All of a sudden the PINK Jet and rig buckles up and this monster king starts jumping like crazy downstream. Long story short, 38 inch 24 pound female. 15 minutes later 15 pound Male. We move and at 10:30am we land another 12 pound male. Move again and press our luck in front of a mega log jam, where I know they are hiding as the sun got high and hot. Hook two more that break us off in the logs. All these fish on the PINK Jet rig. :eek::grin:

IMG_0221.sized.jpg

IMG_0222.sized.jpg

IMG_0226.sized.jpg

IMG_0228.sized.jpg

Nice job Dan. Sounds like an exciting trip on the PM with some real nice fish too. I couldnt find any of those big girls on the lake, just the 2 and 3 yr. olds and a couple small 4 yr olds....But, im not complaining either. I have nothing against those little silver bullets, ecspecially when they meet blackened seasoning and the grill. <>< YUM ><>

Nice job I have never heard of a egg loop knot. My spawn is alway flying off.How do you tie that? I really like the ideal of jet divers I am going to try that this week.

Rob.

It took me a while to remember how even I did it years ago. You might be able to find it on line somewhere, as I surely could not explain it very well without physically showing you. I'm going to pick up a few of the bigger spin-n-glows to try in front of the spawn next time behind the Jets. That's how they do it mostly on the Kenai for kings. ;):D