"Killer Keels" introduced.

The post below was written this spring by me, when Tommy Harris and I were thinking about building and selling these new rigs. Tommy had the idea of the dual spinners in combination with his keels and I did the designing and tank testing. Tommy was going to introduce them at next years sports shows. So both the post and the idea was kept under our hats all summer in case this happened. But Tommy has since become very much busier with things already proven, and has given me permission to introduce the idea to everyone. I have also used these rigs on the Saginaw Bay this year with pretty good success.

Introducing Capt. Dan's/Tommy Harris "Cow Girl Killer Keels".

Teamed with the paint layering genius of Tommy Harris and the slightly dysfunctional lure making ideas of Capt. Dan, the Cow Girl Killer Keels were born. For those of you not familiar with the term "Cow Girl" as it pertains to fishing. This is a new (very successful) blade attachment process that interlocks two blades with one just ahead of the other. This #10 and #12 Muskie spinner rigging idea (actually invented and named by a girl) and recently adopted by Muskie Fishermen everywhere, is weighted with gobs of lead and a very generous supply of colored flashaboo finsil that when teamed together with all these components, pulsates, vibrates, flashes and moves a ton of water as the lure is retrieved. All those things that big muskies love to see.

Well, we borrowed but downsized to #5 that same tandem spinner blade idea, and mixed that with the weight forward DNA taken from the Old style Erie Derie, the Pa's Lure and the long deceased Hot-N-Tot Pygmy. All of which, were or are still walleye catching magnets even today. And all being weight forward, crawler baited type lures, designed to run deep when casted, trolled and/or counted down and retrieved. Now, combine all these old times features with the unique forage shaped keels and the color painted "BLING" that only Tommy Harris can put on both the Keels and blades. Then throw in the tandem double rigged Cow Girl blade style system, and you have to see this thing working in the water yourself to believe both it's looks and action.

And like all of my screwball inventions, I strived too make it work/run efficiently at DEAD slow speeds below 1 mph and at faster speeds, so you could team live bait presentations with any crankbait techniques you wanted. And using the Cow Girl blade configuration accomplished all this and more. It starts working immediately when it hits the water at dead slow speeds, even on the fall. And I could not physically pull it hard/fast enough in the backyard pool to get it to foul, twist or come to the top. The bonus is that this lure ties in or attaches quickly and easily to your main line via snap swivels of all types, and eliminates the need and rigging hassles of snap weights, bottom bouncers or anything else to get this offering down to where the walleyes are. All that is built right into this one easy to rig, handle and store lure. Even one feature I did not expect before testing it. The smaller/lighter keels vibrate like crazy (like the pygmy's used to) as they work, because it seems of the (water moving) Cow Girl style rigged spinner blade system.

And as per my long established reputation of sharing new ideas with everybody for the unheard of price of ZERO, here they are laid out for all to see and copy if you like. The Tommy Harris keels and blade components I used were bought off his own web site. And I feel, are the unique/key working component parts in these rigs IMV. I cannot think of any other type/style/ or shaped keels that would become such an intricate part of this lure in this dynamic configuration. But that is not too say that you could not find another. But I'm afraid, if you want to duplicate these rigs exactly as I've built them here, you will have to buy these quality components from Tommy himself. .:grin:

IM001964.sized.jpg

IM001954.sized.jpg

IM001956.sized.jpg

IM001959.sized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting set up there Dan. A friend of mine did that very thing with his harnesses this year. He ran his behind BB and inlines though, not right on the weight like that. He's a big muskie and pike fisherman as well and as often happens when an angler is a multi species angler, hybrid presentations are born. Cool concept, im sure anglers and fish alike will love them.