Right move at the right time.

Started this morning about 1 mile SW of the northern end of the Dumping Grounds. The plan was to troll it's northern edge East and West. The strong winds changed those plans as it was impossible to turn around and troll any way but with the waves that just pushed us from corner to corner on the grid I wanted to fish. It was one of those days when the wind is stronger then even the waves they are creating. To much duty for my HT 8 horse Yamaha pushing the Grady today. So even though we started off with a fish on the very first rod I was letting out, it soon dried up as we got pushed out into that dead zone just north of the dumping grounds.

I quickly changed over to Rattle Tots and keels thinking that might change things. But by 10:30 we were still trolling IMV off into the dead zone and only had that one fish in the box. So with only 2 hours of fishing time left, I made the decision to pull all lines and break waves way in towards the State Park. Right around 14 FOW I stoped the boat and shortened the leads on the Keels and cranks to 30 feet. Got all the lines out without a touch and when we hit 16.8 feet all hell broke loose. Made 2 passes and boated 25 walleyes. 17 were keepers but we lost 3 nice walleyes behind the boat along with 2 very rare Rattle Tot's from broken wire leaders. Seems Ol'Capt Dan crimps them a bit to hard. :eek::no:

IMG_0157.jpg

Thanks for the post. Great catch in a very short amount of time.

On the subject of crimps, I would like to suggest that you look at the size of sleeves that you are using with the wire leaders.

My feeling is if you use the right size sleeve for the size of wire then that will not be an issue.

Your tackle supplier should have a chart for sleeve to diameter of line in use! If you follow this there should not be any issues!!!

The only time to exercise care is with mono leaders!!

Tight Lines ;

Rayman

Thanks for the post. Great catch in a very short amount of time.

On the subject of crimps, I would like to suggest that you look at the size of sleeves that you are using with the wire leaders.

My feeling is if you use the right size sleeve for the size of wire then that will not be an issue.

Your tackle supplier should have a chart for sleeve to diameter of line in use! If you follow this there should not be any issues!!!

The only time to exercise care is with mono leaders!!

Tight Lines ;

Rayman

Or it might be the side cutters I'm using to crimp them. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Nice report Dan...sure is nice taking chances and changing plans on the grounds WHEN it pays off!!

Ya... How does that charter captain saying go? One day your a GOD the next a Day a Di+( Head. It is nice when your gut feelings pay off though. :grin: