down speed ?

As many of you know I have a sub troll so here is the info that I learned when I installed mine as I was on the Phone with Duane when I installed it 3 years ago.

These are calibrated when they are built. they are tested by jumpering out the ring on the top of the sub troll and clipping an alligator clip to the gold washer located on the top side of the paddle wheel. Now when I set mine up I set my boat speed at 2 mph on a calm day on my gps . then I put the probe on my down rigger and put it down in the water behind the boat about 1' down so there was no other currents running against it. I looked at the speed read out and saw that my gps and my sub troll were off about .8 to 1 mph. I used the red screw in the back of the unit and set it to the gps. Now I realize there is a difference betwee speed over land and speed over water. then I ran it down to 50' and there was not much difference in the read out. at 2.5 on the gps was 2.5 on the sub troll. Now this was on a calm day. Now that they are the same when I ran it down on a day with a chop and current I can actully see the difference in what the water conditions can do. You will noice that gps will still be about 2.5 but if there is a current you will see just what it is doing to your luhr speed as my sub trill was reading about 1.7 and bumped up the speed to 2.5 on the sub troll. the gps was reading about 3.1. if I left it at the slower speed I notice I stopped getting hits and you could see your luhr acition almost go away. this told me I achieve what I was after. the difference between speed at the surface and speed at the ball. I was told that the calibration for you is what ever you make it for your boat. Keep in mind you only need to jumper it our if you want to see your read out work if your boat is not in the water. I just mentioned it so you would know.

any calibration has to have a 0 point and the only way to achieve that is get the boat and the sub troll set the same at the surface and that will give you your difference at the ball. I have herd alot of guys state that when they installe these they noticed that there was a big difference between there gps and there sub troll and this is why. Hope this was not to confusing.

and two answer your main question 2.5 to 2.9 are my best speeds on the sub troll.

As many of you know I have a sub troll so here is the info that I learned when I installed mine as I was on the Phone with Duane when I installed it 3 years ago.

These are calibrated when they are built. they are tested by jumpering out the ring on the top of the sub troll and clipping an alligator clip to the gold washer located on the top side of the paddle wheel. Now when I set mine up I set my boat speed at 2 mph on a calm day on my gps . then I put the probe on my down rigger and put it down in the water behind the boat about 1' down so there was no other currents running against it. I looked at the speed read out and saw that my gps and my sub troll were off about .8 to 1 mph. I used the red screw in the back of the unit and set it to the gps. Now I realize there is a difference betwee speed over land and speed over water. then I ran it down to 50' and there was not much difference in the read out. at 2.5 on the gps was 2.5 on the sub troll. Now this was on a calm day. Now that they are the same when I ran it down on a day with a chop and current I can actully see the difference in what the water conditions can do. You will noice that gps will still be about 2.5 but if there is a current you will see just what it is doing to your luhr speed as my sub trill was reading about 1.7 and bumped up the speed to 2.5 on the sub troll. the gps was reading about 3.1. if I left it at the slower speed I notice I stopped getting hits and you could see your luhr acition almost go away. this told me I achieve what I was after. the difference between speed at the surface and speed at the ball. I was told that the calibration for you is what ever you make it for your boat. Keep in mind you only need to jumper it our if you want to see your read out work if your boat is not in the water. I just mentioned it so you would know.

any calibration has to have a 0 point and the only way to achieve that is get the boat and the sub troll set the same at the surface and that will give you your difference at the ball. I have herd alot of guys state that when they installe these they noticed that there was a big difference between there gps and there sub troll and this is why. Hope this was not to confusing.

and two answer your main question 2.5 to 2.9 are my best speeds on the sub troll.

That's a great point Joe, When I said 2.0-2.2 in my above post, it was based on my Canon unit. My unit on a calm day will read 2.0 down, and 2.6 sog on the gps. I'll have to investigate if it can be calibrated.