Al-Qaida in Iraq's al-Zarqawi 'terminated'

GLF

U.S. air raid north of Baghdad kills most wanted militant in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, al-Qaida's leader in Iraq who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and kidnappings, has been killed in an air strike, U.S. and Iraqi officials said Thursday, adding his identity was confirmed by fingerprints and a first-hand look at his face. It was a major victory in the U.S.-led war in Iraq and the broader war on terror.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed along with seven aides Wednesday evening in a in a remote area 30 miles northeast of Baghdad, in the volatile province of Diyala, just east of the provincial capital of Baqouba, al-Maliki said.

Loud applause broke out as al-Maliki, flanked by U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and U.S. Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, told reporters at a news conference that "al-Zarqawi was terminated."

Read the whole story here.

It's too bad that the end came so quick and easy for him.

He personally decapitated hostages.

Capturing him and cutting off a small piece at a time would have been better justice for his victims.

But at least he is gone! Hooray!

Isn't this kind of ridiculous too?

I mean, ya kill 1 guy and the price of oil drops. They save money when this guy gets terminated, because they don't have to give him his allowance?

Ya know what I mean?

They will probably pay us to take gas when they get binLaden then......:D

Well if anyone deserved to die, he was up there. But when the dust settles and the U.S. is gone do you really think there will be a democracy there or any change for the better.

These peeps dont even know what democracy is. They are in a land that has thrived on war from biblical times.

So in the end what does this really accomplish.

I am in no way bashing the soldiers who are serving over there, they get the upmost in respect from me, however Bush and his policy are a different story.

Unfortunately terrorism will never be gone.

My Rant :)

Well if anyone deserved to die, he was up there. But when the dust settles and the U.S. is gone do you really think there will be a democracy there or any change for the better.

These peeps dont even know what democracy is. They are in a land that has thrived on war from biblical times.

So in the end what does this really accomplish.

I am in no way bashing the soldiers who are serving over there, they get the upmost in respect from me, however Bush and his policy are a different story.

Unfortunately terrorism will never be gone.

My Rant :)

I could not agree with you more Mike.

Someone will eventually take his place in leadership.:(

OK...we got Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Who's next? I do not believe this will be the end of the attacks over there. This is only a set back to them. It will only be a matter of time before he is replaced. This has probably happened already.

Like Mike said "They are in a land that has thrived on war from biblical times".

What the middle east hates the most is Western influence. So...what is happening over there now? We are over there trying to change the way they live. More Western influence.

There is no way to pull out our troops without things reverting back to the way they were.

Lets hope all of our remaining personal/troops that are over there, return safely.