Lake Trout limits

After reading the rules and regulations for next year, I discovered something I was not aware of. Lake Trout have a minimum size limit of 20" and a maximum size limit of 23" (in regards to the area from Leelanau South).

One can be kept over 34", with a daily possession limit of 3.

We normally do not target Lake Trout, so I never really payed attentions to the rules. This is a very small slot limit for lakers, It would be a good idea to keep a ruler on board if you plan to keep them.

I haven't seen the new 2009 Fishing Guide, but if it is the same as least year, you are misinterpreting the map and description.

At least last year, MM 5 (Leland, Frankfort, Platte Bay) had the rule of 20 inches minimum and maximum of 23 inches EXCEPT one could be over 34 inches.

Otherwise, MM 6-8 (Arcadia to New Buffalo) is a 20 inch minimum with no other slot limit laws in effect, other than 3 fish per person.

Again, I haven't seen the 2009 Fishing Guide yet, but since they changed the Lake Trout laws a few years ago, it has been the same each year since then.

Hopefully, this isn't the case, but there are a lot of Lake Trout in this region now that are 20-23 inches so they may have a new slot limit in effect for this region too.

Hitman has it right that is still last years map don't get caught with Lakers in the refuge area. Down here in Muskegon it is a long way out but I have fished in it would like to find a way to color the area in on my plotter. The refuge up by Charlevoix has to be tough to avoid just about a no lake Trout port.

I think you are wrong about the slot limit in area MM-5. There is no minimum limit in this area. You can keep any fish up to 23." None between 23" and 34" and one over 34" This is the way I have always understood the rule. I fish out of Arcadia, our rule is it must be over 20" We have never been sure if the rule applies on the lake or at the dock. Since I have never had my fish checked on the lake, I tend to think that if you caught a 25" fish north and brought it to Arcadia to the dock you would be safe. The same fish caught south of Arcadia and taken to Frankfort would get you in touble.

I think you are wrong about the slot limit in area MM-5. There is no minimum limit in this area. You can keep any fish up to 23." None between 23" and 34" and one over 34" This is the way I have always understood the rule. I fish out of Arcadia, our rule is it must be over 20" We have never been sure if the rule applies on the lake or at the dock. Since I have never had my fish checked on the lake, I tend to think that if you caught a 25" fish north and brought it to Arcadia to the dock you would be safe. The same fish caught south of Arcadia and taken to Frankfort would get you in touble.

This is the way I read the rules also.

If you draw the line beween MM5 and MM6-8 straight across, you will see that there is a 23" maximum size for area, and there may be one fish in the daily 3 limit 34" or greater for area MM5.